Chapter Four

She scanned the cold room, her eyes landing on the skinny and haughty looking woman. She walked slowly over to her, glad to see she was only conversing with a couple whom Astoria had seen before, but couldn't place with a name.

She cleared her throat politely as she approached them. No response. So, she said, her voice meek and timid, "Excuse me, Mrs. Malfoy, Madam." Narcissa turned to her.

Face puzzled but smile small, she said, "Yes, dear?"

Astoria was thankful for her politeness. "So sorry to interrupt, but Draco, he isn't feeling very well, and so" -- she'd devised this part on the walk over -- "I'm going to fetch a draught, I always keep one in my coat -- you know how winter weather can be --"

Narcissa's eyebrows furrowed but her smile was still present. "You don't have to -- I'm sure he can take care of himself, or one of the house elves can --"

"No really, it's no problem -- I'll send him right back up after the draught has taken effect." She smiled again.

Narcissa nodded, her eyes suspicious but expression still polite. Before another word could be spoken, Astoria was hurtling through the talking families and dancing couples.

Daphne caught her gaze for a moment, and seemed as though she was about to follow her. However, she looked to be engaged in mid-conversation with the Nott slug, and thus Astoria had ample time to escape.

She walked briskly down the dimly lit hallway, the sconces on the wall getting fainter until they were not lit at all, and turned into the hallway as Draco had instructed. She was simultaneously terrified to be murdered for lying to a death eater, and giddy with the fact that she successfully lied to a death eater.

A smile washed across her lips, her steps buoyant with triumph, when someone yanked her to the left. She yelped, but it was just Draco, who had his finger to his lips to imply she stay quiet.

He let go of her arm, and listed his head to the side, motioning her to follow him. Neither of them spoke as they walked. She wondered where they would go -- could he apparate? Probably, she thought. Maybe he could apparate them both to a different country, where they'd part ways and she could change her name and live on a farm or something.

They walked down endless stairs, though a labyrinth of hallways, until they were finally on ground level. He slipped open the back set of doors, watching around them intently as she scurried through.

She found herself at the back of the house, the gardens lush and extensive.

"Okay, where are we --" But he was already walking away, into what seemed like a doorway of emerald green bushes. She listed her head, but followed.

She found herself in a literal room of greenery -- cut out like a passage of a maze. There was a small fountain, illuminated in blue light, and four curved, stone benches positioned around it, creating a divided circle.The moon and stars lit the grass in a silvery glow at her feet.

Checking the coast was clear, Draco waved his wand, and the leaves and branches extended and curled over themselves, closing the doorway they'd entered though.

He plopped down at one of the benches, looking absently at the fountain. After a moment, Astoria said, "So, where are we going. . . ?"

His eyes flickered to her, then around the foliage room, extending his hands outward.

"This was your plan?"

He nodded, his expression bored and impatient, preoccupied.

She stared at him. "But we're still -- here. . . ."