Chapter 11

As we approached the car, Mattie slowed down.

“You’re not serious? Are you?” she said in disbelief

“Erm… yes. Yes I am, but don’t worry, if I can drive it here in one piece, I can drive it back.”

“I trust you… just surprised…”

“Sure…” I laughed, as we got into the small car

There was another rumble on the ground, an aftershock I presume, but it still scared us. Mattie yelped a little. I knew there was little time so I quickly started the car and slammed on the accelerator and skid a little on the ice and took off down the road. I could see Mattie was a little scared by my driving but I continued to drive at a high speed back to my house. I could feel Mattie’s eyes on me. They were inquisitive. To be honest, I can’t blame her. First I moved away after only being in a relationship with her for a matter of hours and since that day, no text contact or any contact, then out of the blue, I return telling her that we had to move quickly away and presently just driving down a completely deserted main road with no idea where we are heading and why. Sensing her question, I reply, telling her all the details since the last time I saw her. She gave a range of emotions such as bemusement of the greenhouse, shock of the missile and sadness at the news of my sister. Admittedly, as I talked about Lily, I teared up. It has only been a month or so since Lily fell from the cliff, but I remember it like yesterday. I could’ve saved her. The only thing that took my mind off this temporarily was navigating my way to our destination. It only took 5 minutes from then to arrive back home. Getting out of the Clio, I locked it and looked with remorse. I thought how my sister would’ve murdered me for pulling this stunt; especially with her car. She wasn’t around to do that now. She wasn’t around to own the car, so technically, I own this shitty little Clio now. Mattie arrived at my shoulder, and hugged me, obviously feeling my distress. I turned to look at her, still saddened. She looked back at me with her deep brown eyes. Pivoting on the balls of her feet, she kissed me. Her lips were warm surprisingly, for a cold day. I kissed back revelling in the experience. When we released, I hugged her as she nested her head in the crook of my shoulder. Remembering the purpose of my mission, I released, grabbed her hand and directed her to the portal in the boiler room.

“Ready?” I asked

“When you are” She replied

We stepped into the portal and all went black.