Scene 3 - 808's, Heartaches and Legion, Act 3

A new voice speaks behind me, a female voice, heavy with some sort of African accent.

        The dark horde, daemon and I pause momentarily to look towards the source of the voice. My whip blade stands ready, a tilted silver torus around the lightly snoring child and I. In the silence of the moment, I pick up the sound of music even louder.

Do it better than anybody you ever seen do it,
Screams from the haters,
Got a nice ring to it
I guess every super hero need his theme music…

        A petite black girl with a bleached crew cut stands two stories up. She is literally standing on the wall, straight backed and poised on the vertical surface. Spiderman has nothing on this chica.

 “Sssspider, sssschmider We have heard of you. Alwayss run, never sssstand and fight."

She shrugs, and smirks, “the best fights are the ones you can avoid”.

She struts downward, as if on flat ground, talking as if it disregarding gravity is an every day thing.

“You will leave now” She insists with subtle menace.

“Isssss that ssssuposed to be a banishing?” the Daemon hisses back.

She frowns. An amused smile curls up the corner of her lips and then she purrs, “I'm not that merciful”

Spider suddenly dissapears in a puff of grey. She appears beside me a split second later. My quicksilver torus drops to the floor and transmutes back into a belt.

If that was a dream shift, it’s the fastest I’ve ever seen.

“Are you both ok?” she asks, concerned.

        I grimace, “We are surrounded by a continuously regenerating dark horde, I have a few holes in my lung, my foot is shot and I’m far too weak to fight. Shouldn’t you take care of the horde before checking on us?”

Her brow creases again, “Which horde?”.

        I look around. The darklings are trapped under fine silver mesh, squealing whilst frantically trying to break free. The Daemon is bound similarly. “How…when,” I stutter, “the silver mesh...”.

She chuckles lightly, “Deception is my middle name. I took time during the chat to weave my web and now...”

        She clenches a fist, in an almost delicate gesture, and the mesh shrinks, shredding the darklings into black dust. The other bodies still remain, the human bodies, people who I doubt were even Society. Spider notices takes them in for the first time and stumbles away from me to hurl, repeatedly.

“O dear, this is definitely not good.” A familiar voice gasps.

        Professor Cho strides up to us, followed by an overprotective older man holding a gun. Holding a gun like he knows how to use it. She goes up to the daemon, puzzled.

 “Why is this one still here. Don’t they usually run when routed?”

“Silver mesh on it, can’t move even it wanted to.” I manage to reply with a grimace.

        She squints and looks closely at me for minute before exclaiming, “Carlos! I could hardly notice you. What happened here?”

        She treads warily towards the daemon, thinking out loud “Only Temi could sense this space, it’s as if they used some form of cloaking. This daemon has a lot questions to answer”.

        It sniggers, still full of attitude “Well you be asking thossse questionss Honored Cho”, it twists the honorific into some sort of insult, “but I’ll be giving no answers."