'Why would we need a maid when his maasi is there to take care of him?' Khushi countered. She had moved in to the house after the accident so she could help Payal during this crisis. She did most of the cooking and also took care of the baby as Payal, in spite of having a nurse to help out, was overwhelmed with taking care of Akash. It seemed to NK, that Khushi went out of her way to please everyone around her. Was it because she was an orphan, he wondered.

NK put his hand on Khushi's shoulder. 'Khushi, tell me about your childhood.' His tone was sympathetic.

'You know the story.' Khushi stood up and walked toward the roof garden, seeking comfort from the frangipani growing out of the pot. She didn't know why she avoided NK's touch. She was going to marry him, wasn't she? She never expected to experience the sublime passion she had once known. Nor the suffering. She had repudiated all that.

'I know you came to live with your uncle and aunt when you were eight,' NK prompted.

'Where I was not really wanted.'

'I can't believe there would be anyone who didn't want you Khushi.' NK said sympathetically.

'Not everyone can be warm towards children who are not their own,' Khushi said quietly. She was thinking of Buaji who never ceased to throw insults her at her at every occasion. Her aunt Garima wanted to love her, after all she was her sister's child, but had held herself back, not wanting to rock the boat with her sister-in-law. Payal, who was three years her senior had been friendly enough but their relationship had lacked real closeness. Her uncle Shashi, however, was affectionate toward her. But her best friend was her Devi Maiyya, who had never given up on her even in trying times.

'But I have no complaints. Amma and Babuji took me in when my parents died in an accident and took care of me. It is only Buaji who always made me feel I was a tremendous drain on modest resources.' Khushi blinked back her tears.

'So who paid for your dance lessons?' NK asked with faint surprise.

'Babuji -- until I was thirteen. Then Naniji paid for my advanced classes.'

She was lying in garden enjoying the fragrance of the jasmine flowers when her Amma had called her inside.

'Khushi come inside right now.'

She stopped herself before she could blurt out 'Why?' having faced the brunt of her Buaji's tongue on many occasions. Had she found the cut out of Madhuri Dixit that she kept hidden in her books? Buaji would give her a lashing if she did.

'You shameless girl,' Buaji shouted at her. 'Why did you have to complain to your teacher that we cannot afford to send you to dance classes?'

'I didn't complain Buaji,' she reasoned. What happened?' she asked looking at her silent aunt.

'The elderly Mrs Raizada wants to pay for you advanced dance classes.'

'What for?' She was confused.

'Oh you are all surprise now,' Buaji accused her. 'When you have been complaining to your teacher that we begrudge the money we spend on your dance lessons.'

'I never did Buaji.' She shook her head.

'You wouldn't have done such a thing if you were of our blood.' She was accustomed to this disparagement. 'Girls in our families are not allowed to indulge in such things. Mrs Raizada wants you to come up to the Big House to see you dance. It is their practice to dispense favours, but the minute they see you they will change their minds.'

'I don't want to go.' She had answered back.

'You can't do that!' Buaji shouted her eyes wide with disbelief. 'After all the Raizadas are royalty.'