Untitled Part 1

I looked at the time. 11 pm. The darkness engulfed the room like a thick blanket. It was going to be a night I'd remember for the rest of my life. I was laying in bed unable to sleep. I heard the door close downstairs and knew it was my brother coming home from seeing his girlfriend. Then sluggish loud steps. Walking Up from my basement. the voice of my father speak angrily. No. It was more of an animals growl, a vicious animal. Drunk in anger. I was afraid, yet I knew what was coming. And then it happened. A slam to the floor. Then my mother getting out of bed and running downstairs. All the while I, a ten year  boy  was curled in a ball, frozen. Terrified of the events happening just down the staircase. I heard my mother begging, pleading, and screaming at my drunken excuse of a father to stop hurting her child. I crawled out of my bed. And quietly crawled to my parents room where the telephone was. I picked up and dialed 9. My heart dropped as more screams pierced the air. then slowly a 1. I feared what my father would do to me or my family if I had called the police. So i hung up before I finished dialing the number. I then proceeded to crawl back to my bed and force myself to lay there and do nothing but listen. Listen and wait for it to stop. Eventually it did. But when it did what happened was the most shameful moment in my life. I went to the staircase and slowly walked down. What I saw I will never forget. The blood. The blood in a puddle soaked into the green carpet. It was like it wanted to mock me. To rub in the fact that I failed.  Then he came up. The animal. In a white tee shirt. Blood still slightly on his collar. I panicked. I was afraid; then i did something that I will always regret. I looked up at him with sheepish eyes and asked innocently " what happened daddy?" I almost wished he had slapped me or punched me that moment. Instead. He hugged me and said " your brother and I had a bit of an argument." then a rage. A fiery anger so hot. Took over my ten year old self and still resides in me today. I stared at the blood as this monster hugged me like he had true compassion. And I vowed. I would never let myself become like the man who had his arms around me that night. Because he was not my father.