Two Kinds

A/N: This is something that struck me randomly; it might not mark the end of my hiatus, but maybe for once my writing inspiration is coming back. Hopefully. I didn't really look it over, so please excuse any mistakes. If you're not familiar with my OC, her name's Phoenix Williams and she's Danny's twin. Who happens to live with Steve. Whoop.

Comment your thoughts, ideas, vote/follow, and, of course, enjoy.

Dedicated to my best friend halfway across the country, about to celebrate her sixteenth birthday. Love you. Always. Never forget me.

* * *

"Grab me a landshark?" Danny Williams asked, eyeing the cooler next to his friend. It had been a long week, one filled with gunshots, black ops, and bombs. Both men were eager to relax on the beach with a beer, trying to wash away unwanted memories of dead bodies and charred remains. Grace Williams, Danny's daughter, didn't notice the men's weary eyes; at least, she didn't let on that she did. Instead the girl happily built sandcastles on the beach with her favorite aunt, Phoenix, who was only slightly better off than the guys.

Steve did as Danny requested, nursing his own drink in the dwindling sunlight. The former SEAL took the case the hardest, as their bomber had targeted (and set a bomb off at) a small military base containing many naval intelligence officers. He lost too many friends in that building, including one that was set to retire in a few weeks. As the case went on a whirlwind of emotions tore through him: guilt, anger, and regret. Not to mention the need for vengeance he craved.

Yet, through it all, as Steve watched the two girls and the ocean a calm fell over him. There was no other way he'd rather spend his Friday night. And damn, he deserved a break after this week.

"You alright?"

Shaking himself out of his thoughts, Steve nodded. "All things considered, yeah. You?"

He shrugged. "Happy to see my daughter another day, bonus points for her being happy too."

"Mm." He agreed, studying the creation of Grace closest to him. It was quite the sandcastle, complete with a moat and a sea shell drawbridge. Just like him and Mary's when they were little.

A delighted squeal made him look up to see Phoenix kicking water at Grace, a bright smile gracing her face. The younger was running away the best she could but she was still getting soaked. A warm smile slipped onto Steve's own face; he couldn't remember the last time his roommate had smiled and laughed this much. "Watch it, we have no back-up clothes!" He called out.

A chuckle followed as Phoenix only stuck her tongue out at him before resuming her entourage. Danny laughed too, eyes crinkling. "Don't worry, I have some in the trunk."

Steve took a swig of beer before turning to his partner. "So how's Gabby?"

"Really, Steven. Nosy much?"

Raising his hands in defense, he fired back, "I thought we were having one of those spill your guts over beer moments. Excuse me, Daniel."

There was a glare. "Well if you must know, we're doing good. Taking it slow."

"Nothing wrong with that."

"Nope." Danny seemed to ponder his next words before continuing, as if, for once, he was actually unsure of speaking his thoughts. "What about you and Catherine?"

In all honesty, Steve didn't know how to answer that question. Catherine had left on mission about a month ago. He hadn't talked to her since, not even a quick text to see if she was docked back in Oahu yet to hang out. If he was still being honest with himself...he really hadn't felt the need for one of their "favor repayments" at his house or at some sort of restaurant (or shrimp truck). "Fine. She's out." He finally replied after a moment.