Chapter 19: Honest

Shuichi's POV
We were all in the cafeteria, as Kirumi and Kiibo served the breakfast and Kaito helped them. I was sitting on a table with Rantaro, Kaede, and Maki. They were talking about something, but I wasn't really listening.

To be honest, my biggest concern right now is Kokichi. He seemed rather scared of his own reactions, and it's not usual for him to be this late. Maybe something happened? Or maybe he doesn't plan on coming? He needs to eat, right? If he doesn't come I'll go and get him his-

"Kokichi, how are you feeling?" I heard Kiibo say.

I turned to see the entrance of the cafeteria, Kokichi was there, clearly nervous. And Kiibo of course was in front of him.

"I'm absolutely terrified." Kokichi said.
"What?"
"I-Ignore that, please, I beg you. No wait I shouldn't have- UGHGGHHHH!"

Kokichi walked up to the kitchen clearly frustrated, leaving Kiibo confused and by himself.

"He's just not used to this, don't worry." I told Kiibo as I walked past him and into the kitchen.

"Greetings Kokichi, may I serve you in any way? Maybe with your breakfast?" Kirumi asked calmly.
"Yes please, I'd appreciate it a lot."

Kirumi and I were both a little surprised at Kokichi's politeness. He gave a nervous smile and walked up to the fridge, grabbed a Panta and left, ignoring me.

Kirumi shrugged it off and continued cooking, I followed Kokichi since I really needed to talk to him. I saw him sit in a table by himself so I sat next to him.

"Hey.. um.. do you mind if I?"
"Please.. I.. really need someone to talk to.. Nono nevermind I.. don't want to screw up."

Kokichi looked sadder than usual. He had his head low, with his bangs almost covering his eyes, and his arms crossed.

"You.. know you don't have to lie to me right? Not anymore." I wrapped my arm around his shoulder and he laid his head on mine.

"I'm sorry, I'm not used to this- it's.. so frustrating!" Kokichi sighed and murmured something I didn't understand.

The day went by quite normally. Kokichi spent most time either with me or with Gonta. Besides us, he would avoid any conversation. But of course there were some times when it didn't go as he'd wish.

"Hey. I heard you can't lie. Is that.. true?" Maki asked Kokichi when we bumped into her on the hallways.
"Y-Yes.. I'm trying not to say things Id regret for now.. so if you don't mind, can we not.. talk right now?" Kokichi seemed nervous, but that's understandable.

"Oh alright. I wouldn't like to bother."
"Thanks Maki, you're an amazing friend."

Kokichi hugged her and Maki froze, confused at first. She looked at me with wide eyes and I shrugged. She slowly hugged back and gave him two awkward pats on the back. I couldn't see it, but I'm sure Kokichi was cursing to himself. They pulled away and just "👁_👁" to each other.

"That's.. exactly what I want to avoid. But it was nice though, I'd like another!" Kokichi smiled while he talked, then regretted it, facepalmed and then sigh.

Even so, Maki hugged him again real quick and walked away without saying anything.

"You know, this isn't going as bad as I thought it would. Actually, I feel like they like the true you. You should stop lying a little." I said.
"My true self is weak okay? I get scared easily, I'm fragile, I panic at anything! I can't let them see that."
"Being scared is alright, Kokichi. Just look at our situation."
"You don't get it. You're the Ultimate Detective. And what am I huh? A leader of some harmless gang? The most amazing thing I've done is stealing candy! And I'm in a life or death situation with an Aikido Master, an Inventor, A GOD DAMN ASTRONAUT?! If dying hated is the only way to avoid been seen as worthless as always, then I'll die hated." He started to tear up at the last part.

"K-Kokichi I didn't know y-you felt that way I'm-"
"Don't. It's o-okay I understand. Just, don't feel sorry for me. Please."

He hugged me and buried his head in my chest. Even after he'd normally back off and regret it, he just.. stayed there, sobbing. I hugged him and whispered to him that it's okay, everything will be alright.

"A BODY HAS BEEN DISCOVERED!"

Nevermind.

{A/N}
Word Count: 780
Sorry for not updating yesterday! You see, my room is getting a total makeover, so the next few days I'll be working on it. So please, be patient with me!