Strangers.

Gigi and Crystal, the high school beloved lesbian sweethearts. The couple that was 'made for each other' and were 'bound to stay together.' But over the eight years of their ever evolving relationship some things had changed.

She had stopped kissing Crystal on the mouth, Gigi often using the excuse that it was "too intimate." Crystal had thought that eight years together a kiss on the lips should be a regular act of affection. Kisses for the first five years, and then the last three have been almost affection-less- perhaps only fake affection for one another.

Crystal didn't know when Gigi had stopped looking her in the eyes. She had first noticed it in the middle of the night, laying beside her in a discussion about future furniture ideas for their living-room for their small apartment - she noticed how Gigi's blue eyes would scan everywhere in their shared bedroom and avoided nothing but Crystal. Soon Crystal began realising how Gigi's eyes danced around the room and paid more interest on the coffee stain punctured into the baby blue bed sheets that they slept on.

Gigi was much too scared, that if she looked the brunette in the eyes that she would see the same scenario that she saw all those years ago, the scene that was seconds away from replaying every time she spoke to Crystal or looked at her, the scene that she had to force her brain to block out or blur- or do anything in its power for her to not have to relive through the excruciating reality of it. The mere thought of Crystal- the woman she loved, in bed with another woman made her stomach churn and her chest tighten- and having to be reminded of it multiple times everyday.

Whenever Crystal wakes up in hot sweats at night, panting breathlessly at the reminder of Jaida's skin gently pressed against hers, the words that the hazel eyed girl had told Crystal replaying in her head, everyday for the past three years. "We're not lovers, we're just strangers" the words being like a burden pressed so deep into her chest that not even the worst case of heartburn could wither away. Whilst this all happens Gigi pretends to sleep peacefully beside her; the pale girl is reminded that she isn't as special as she had originally intended.

Gigi doesn't call her on the phone anymore, she waits until she arrives home to talk to Crystal- their conversations being boring and dimly lit with little enthusiasm. Whenever Crystal goes into long rants about things she cares about, about how her favourite artist had just posted a photo of her new abstract piece on Instagram, or about how Rock had accidentally spilled a drink on a customer at work and then took the same girl out to date a few hours later. Gigi never listened, she said it was innocent and that it was her getting entranced into daydream; Crystal knew better than to believe that.

The strong control that Crystal used to have over their relationship was slowly declining; the dates and plans and outings in general that Crystal had used to plan were slowly slipping from her grip. The two girls rarely going on dates, once a month maybe- if even~Courtesy of Gigi always making a barely reliable excuse to ignore going on them with her, most of them sounding the same or else just being straight-up absurd. But Crystal never fought with her about them or questioned them; she knew better.

So in mornings, when Crystal lay in bed- wishing it was Jaida laying beside her rather than Gigi, memories of the nights and mornings that they hand spent together- the thought of her and Jaida's future- what they had planned out in an early five am bliss with one another, every shared kiss, every grope, every touch, every hot breathe, the constant pining she did for the girl. But none of this for the girl she was engaged to.

Gigi was in love with Crystal. But she was pretty sure, now- they are both just strangers.