Chapter 13

When our humpfest finally ended the field was quiet. The only sound I could hear was our heavy breathing. Pita held me in his arms.

“I love you, Katlick,” he whispered.

“Excuse me?”

He snuggled his face next to mine. He started making weird kissing sounds.

“Do you mind?” I asked.

“What?” he protested. “Girls like to cuddle afterwards.”

I wiggled away from him and put my clothes back on. He was still on the ground, looking at me like I was a monster.

“This is the Humping Games,” I reminded him. “Hello? We have a job to do.”

I could tell I hurt his feelings. I almost felt bad about it for a second.

“Don’t you think we can rest for a minute?” he asked. “I’ve never humped so hard in my life.”

“Pita,” I said, getting annoyed. “That’s the only hump you’ve ever had.”

“Oh yeah,” he chuckled. “But it was the best so far.”

I shook my head at him.

“It was good and all,” I admitted. “But something happened inside me. It’s like my sexiness came to life and now it’s hungry. I have to feed this sex machine to keep it running.”

The cannon interrupted our conversation. We looked at each other, afraid of what we would see above us. We slowly raised our eyes.

Jack’s pictured floated in the sky.

“Tribute from District 1 has been eliminated,” Ryan’s voice announced. “He pulled a muscle in the threeway and had to dropout midhump.”

I remembered all the tributes that were eliminated while we were getting it on. There couldn’t be very many left.

“We gotta stick together,” Pita said.

“No. I need more action.”

I stormed off. I could hear Pita running to catch up to me.

“When are you going to realize that we belong together?” he shouted after me.

I turned around to yell at him but when I saw him standing there naked I lost my nerve.

“Put some clothes on,” I said. “You look ridiculous.”

“It looks like we have a lover’s quarrel,” Fudgepickle’s voice sounded around the arena.

“When I saw you volunteer for Prissy,” Pita said, “I prayed my name would be called. I’m in love with you, Katlick. I never want to stop humping you.”

He looked so adorable confessing his love in the nude.

“That’s the sweetest thing anyone has ever said to me.”

“We’re the only ones left,” he said. “I counted the cannons. It’s just us.”

I wanted to cry. I wasn’t going to have the chance to hump anyone else. I wasn’t done.

“What do we do now?” I asked.

“I want you to win,” he said. He grabbed some berries from a bush next to him. “These are poisonous. I’m going to eat them and then you will be the winner.”

He shoved the berries in his mouth. He was inhaling them like skittles.

“Are you fucked in the head?” I screamed. “Why would you kill yourself? We can split the money.”

Ryan Seacrest’s voice filled the air. “There’s been a change of rules. This year, in celebration of the 69th Games, there will be two winners.”

For real? Did I hear that right?

“The winners of this year’s Humping Games, Katlick Eversweet and Pita Breadman.”

Pita fell to the ground. His mouth was hanging open with berry juice running down his chin.