Chapter Twenty-Seven

"Are you sure you don't want to come with us?" asks Azula, staring at her brother intently as she prepared to enter her ship.

"No" says Zuko with certainty in his voice. Although Zuko had helped ensure victory for the Fire Nation in Ba-Sing-Se, he didn't feel like he had restored his honour. Years ago, when Zuko was banished from the Fire Nation, he was told he could only return with the Avatar.

He didn't have the Avatar. The Avatar was dead and it was all thanks to Azula. He hadn't restored his honour.

Instead, Zuko decided he would most likely stay in Ba-Sing-Se. With Azula no longer hunting him, at least he could live in peace in the city.

Zuko knew his Uncle had already been shipped back to the Fire Nation to face justice but Lian was still in the city – in the prisons close to the former Royal Palace of the Earth King. He wasn't sure why she was still here, but perhaps he could at least ensure no warm came to her by staying in the city.

"Of course, Zuzu" replies Azula with a dramatic sigh. "Bring the prisoner, we're going home" demands the Fire Nation Princess before walking across the bridge onto the ship.

Zuko's eyes widen as he watches two soldiers carry Lian across the docks towards Azula's ship. Dressed in a hideous brown top and matching wide trousers with chains around her arms – Lian looked nothing like her normal, proud self. Instead she looked worn out and hurt.

Many soldiers stopped to stare as the once well-loved Fire Nation Princess is dragged roughly onto Azula's ship and down into the decks below. Not once does she spare a glance at Zuko and Azula but did keep her head held high, she wouldn't allow anyone the satisfaction of thinking they had beat her.

"Are you sure you won't be coming" asks Azula, amused having just watched Zuko stiffen as Lian was dragged onto the ship.

And that was how Zuko found himself on the royal Fire Nation ship heading back to the Fire Nation capital.

Although he was returning home, Zuko felt nothing but anxiety and dread. In times like this, he would normally talk to his Uncle or Lian but that was no longer an option. Neither would ever want to speak to him again, not that he blamed them. So instead, Zuko stood on the edge of the deck under the shine of the moon, watching the waves below.

"Aren't you cold?" asks Mai, walking towards Zuko.

"I've got a lot on my mind. It's been so long. Over three years since I was home. I wonder what's changed. I wonder how I've changed" replies Zuko.

"I just asked if you were cold. I didn't ask for your whole life story" retorts Mai before smiling and wrapping her arms around the Prince, "stop worrying."

Zuko only smiles as Mai pulls his face closer and they both share a kiss.

Despite trying to follow Mai's advice, Zuko couldn't help but worry. The worry only intensified as they finally reached the Fire Nation Capital where crowds of people lined the streets to meet them.

"Your Princess Azula, clever and beautiful, disguised herself as the enemy and entered the Earth Kingdom's capital. In Ba Sing Se she found her brother, Zuko, and together, they faced the Avatar. And the Avatar fell, and the Earth Kingdom fell" cries Lo and Li from the balcony of the tallest building in the harbour, to the crowds below.

"Azula's agents quickly overtook the entire city. They went to Ba Sing Se's Great Walls, and brought them down! The armies of the Fire Nation surged through the wall and swarmed over Ba Sing Se, securing our victory" continue the twins recounting the story of how the great wall's fell and Fire Nation soldiers entered the city, taking control.