John x Pregnant! Reader - Job Gone Wrong

Word Count: 1867

Requested By: -mcmahon

"John." You rolled your eyes at the man in front of you, who was fussing around, picking up every single rock, branch, clump of dirt, 'anything you might trip over' as put in his words. "John, I just stumbled a bit. Doesn't mean I will do it again."

John looked up from his mad search of the ground. The two of you were in your tent, you were just about to retire to bed when you had stepped on a tiny branch that rolled a little when you put pressure on it; this caused you to stumble slightly, which, of course, sent John into a panic.

"It's better to be safe, Y/N." He said before going back to cleaning the earth.

"Alright." You sighed and rolled over on the cot. "Ah-" You turned back to your husband. "Just make sure you clean your hands before you get in bed. And I don't mean just wipe them on your pants." (This has been a PSA. Wash yo hands!)

- - - -

"Arthur, I swear to god if you continue fussing like this, I will make sure you won't be able to leave camp until this baby is born." You waved the steak knife in your hand around dangerously while glaring at the man. "God, you're almost as bad as John."

"Now, hey. That's insulting."

"Did someone call my name?"

"No."
"No."

You and Arthur said in unison, making John quickly walk back to what he was doing. Never mess with people who talk in sync, it'll get you killed.

"I swear, he has fine-tuned his ears to hear everything I say." You chuckle while slamming the knife down onto the cutting board to start cutting the meat.

"John Marston is an interesting man indeed. But you can't claim that he doesn't love you."

"Did someone-?"

"No!"
"No!"

You sighed loudly before chuckling.

"Don't tell me he has fine-tuned his ears to me too. I'd very much hate that." Arthur had a look of disgust on his face as he said that.

"It's because you and Charles keep fussing over me nearly as much as John does. It's like you all have formed an alliance against me."

"Me? Forming an alliance with John? Never in a million years, missy." Arthur shook his head while crossing his arms over his chest. The look in his eyes then softened and you sent him a questioning head tilt. "It's just because me and Charles see you as a sister, you know that."

You smiled at the man standing next to you. "I would give you a hug but my hands are filthy. Wouldn't want to smear deer-blood on your shirt."

"Your belly would get in the way as well." Arthur pointed to your stomach, where your baby bump was showing.

"Hey! I'm not that big yet!" You raised the knife in a playfully threatening manner and Arthur was quick to duck away and run out while snickering to himself.

"Men. Am I right?" Karen came walking towards you and you giggled.

"You wouldn't know the half of it."

- - - -

"John, do you have to go?"

You and John sat in your shared tent. The boys were about to go on a heist but everything about it felt wrong to you.

John took your hands in his and started gently rubbing the top of them with his thumbs. "You know I don't want to, but they need an extra man out there."