♡༉ i.

- ˏˋ  ✎  ˊˎ -

I found you smoking your worries away when I reached the park.

"Smoking already?"

You looked up at me, smiled & threw the cigarette on the ground, crushing it with the heel of your shoe,"You weren't there to stop me, so yeah."

I hummed, sitting next to you, as you asked me,"So, how has the weather been down there, shawty?"

My lips twisted in a rue smile. It has been only heartbreak weather, I wanted to say, but instead ended up with a soft 'I'm okay.'

You smiled at me and then it was my turn,"You okay?"

"Now that you're here, I feel better, yeah."

"Things are that bad, huh?"

"Oh, it's worse," You mumbled, fixing your glasses,"She is such a liar. I can't believe it."

And then you went on to tell me how Amelia had been lying to you all along, how she had built the whole relationship between you two on lies. How she felt the need to tell you everything now - everything that she lied about when you two were in a relationship. And it had messed you up more than the breakup had.

"I mean I was always so damn careful when it came to relationships – I always chose the safest routes," You muttered, looking at me,"Then why did this happen to me?"

I rubbed a soothing circle on the palm of your hand with my thumb,"They say that unfortunate incidents always happen to good people."

And I wasn't speaking for you alone. I was speaking for myself, I was speaking for Lyla, I was speaking for Amelia, I was speaking for everyone we had affected in some way or other. We were so young – what had we done so wrong to undergo such a complicated turn of events?

You kept your mouth closed for a few long moments, while I continued drawing soothing patterns on your palm. You let out a small laugh before breaking the silence,"It is funny actually. How I had stayed away from you especially because Amelia had asked me to do so. Look at me now, she has ditched me & broken my heart, and you're here with me – helping me fix myself piece by piece."

My thumb halted and so did the words in my mouth.

Kaleb's words echoed in my mind : You will always be the girl he will come back to at the end of the day, the girl he will always rely on to fix his broken parts. But no matter what you do, he will never love you the same way he loves other girls. He will always use your love - but will never reciprocate it.

I gave you an uneasy smile, producing the bag full of cookies I had brought along, handing it you,"Take care," I whispered, reaching up to your face – caressing it with my thumb, knowing well that it was the last time I would touch you like that,"You mean a lot to me."

But I meant more to myself.

And so with that, I had memorized your smile, excused myself, and walked away.

- ˏˋ  ✎  ˊˎ -