Chapter 4

After a hard first semester in Toronto Maf  was relieved to go home for the holidays just in time to know that Maria was getting married.

''I didn't want to tell you on the phone.''

'' Maria. But how?''

''Remember when I broke up with Alex? Right after I kind of started dating Paul. ''

''your friend Paul? I remember he had such a big crush on you. ''

''You never told me. ''

'' Ya, since like seventh grade''

''Well we decided to move in together, but of course you know how mom is and Paul's mom so he asked me''

''How did he do it?''

''oh my God he did  it so cheezy! I was at mass with mom and dad. He got the choir to sing '' all you need is love'' as the last song at mass. The Father John was coming down the isle with the alter boys when they stop right infront of where I was sitting. One of the alter boys takes out a sign saying ''Will you marry me '' , hands it to father John and then Paul comes from behind Father John. I turned bright red in my seat. I had the whole parish staring at me. Check it on youtube I know there were people filming with their phones. I'm still in shock. ''

'omg!'

''They pulled all the stops. Paul even got dad's permission. ''

''what?!''

''Maria! how could you? are you happy?''

''I've never been this happy Maf. Look at us. How time flies. A year and half ago you were still with us, now you're in Toronto, I'm getting married. Who knows maybe you'll be next.''

''Don't even bother imagining Mary. My life in Toronto is hectic as heck. I don't have time for anything. I miss mom's food most of the time. Everyone survives on salades.''

''What's wrong Maf? ''

''I'm just getting use to it. That's all and let's say it hasn't been easy. I can't stand living on campus. No one takes their classes seriously. I am seriously thinking about moving into a place off campus.''

'Maf you know you can always move back home. Heck you can even come live with me, and I find you annoying. '' said Maria with a smile teasing

''But I mean it. You know you can always come back home. Be it to live with me or mom. I don't want you unhappy Maf.''

''You sound just like a big sister'' teased Mafalda

'' I am a big sister.''

buzzz buzzz

Maria caught Mafalda's cellphone.

'' I wonder who would be sending you a text during winter break. Let me see.'Al from Irish Lit class'. Hmmm I see. Wait a minute. Why is he calling you Claire?''

''It's what everybody is calling me.''

''And you chastisized me for not embracing my inner me. I can't believe it Mafalda Clara Tavares e Cunha da Silveira. You have changed.''