Death's Wish

Word Count: 2691

---

"SO, BRAT...ever been on a-"

"Yessir," Eren answered, staying by Levi's closed bedroom door. Levi, having taken a seat at his desk, swiveled in his chair to look back at Eren; his expression being one of slight irritation at the boy's interruption.

"How in the fuck did you know what I was going to say, brat?" he asked, his tone dripping with a challenge.

Refusing to fall for it, Eren simply shook his head and said,

"It was an assumption, sir. I simply guessed that you were gonna ask me about going out and getting stuff, right? Or the apocalyptic term, "military runs." There are two kinds of those, yes? Supply and Food." Slightly, and only slightly, baffled by Eren's awareness of the dangerous situation at hand, Levi leaned back in his chair and kept himself from showing any emotion on his face.

Though that didn't slip past Eren, as he sighed and raked a hand through his short, soft locks with indignation clear on his face.

"Look, sir, I've been doing this alone, for a 5 solid years. I've had to adapt and change myself as a person. What I just relayed to you was pretty much common sense if you at least know what're you're doing half of the time. And I usually know what's going on for a solid 75%. Is it bad that my percentage is so high, Captain?" Eren relented, shifting about on his feet as he cautiously considered his elder by a few years.

At this, Levi simply looked upon the younger man before him with a blank face; saying nothing for a few moments, before sighing to himself, and getting out of his desk chair.

Walking up to Eren, Levi stood next to him and set his left hand on Eren's shoulder, taking it off after only a few seconds and reaching for a small sanitizer bottle in his pocket.

"Good on you kid for lasting this long and managing to get your shit together enough to cooperate with us. Unfortunately, your assumption was correct, and I'm gonna need you to help out. Nothing comes for free," Levi lectured, looking at Eren through his peripheral.

Eren nodded at this and opened his mouth to say something, only to close it instantly after so he could think longer and harder. Repeating this only a second time, Eren finally found the words he was looking for.

"Where are Armin and Mikasa usually at at this hour?" He winced internally at how demanding he sounded, but didn't make a move to take anything back as he waited for Levi's answer.

Observing the brown-haired 18 y/o with scrutiny, Levi contemplated telling the truth or not, as messing with newbies was one of the only things that brought him even a semblance of joy any longer those days. Though for some odd reason, the longer he stared at, maybe even through, the bright eyes of Eren Jaeger, the harder it became for him to mess.

So, upset at himself for not taking that ripe chance he had sitting in front of him on a silver platter, Levi told Eren where his friends most likely were; masking his voice as well as his face.

After informing Eren of Armin and Mikasa's possible whereabouts, Levi reached for the door and swung it open, only to be stopped by the voice of the green and yellow eyed boy.

"Nothing comes for free, eh? Not even mac & cheese?" he asked in a mockingly disappointed tone.

Huffing dramatically, Levi took a step forward and shook his head with the same energy, expertly hiding his amusement at Eren's words.

"Not even mac & cheese."

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

After the captain had left, Eren had decided to go search for his friends like he had initially wanted, needing his only friends after years and years of being alone in the darkest of worlds.