Vol. 1: Twenty-Four

+ LOVING ELIJAH MCCAY +
VOL. 1: CHAPTER TWENTY-FOUR

     My parents don't ask too many questions about the night before, simply assuming that I made it home before curfew, and let myself into the house

     My parents don't ask too many questions about the night before, simply assuming that I made it home before curfew, and let myself into the house. Which I did, but the story wasn't as black and white as it sounded. I'd spent the entire night clutching onto my favorite stuffed animal, wanting to feel some sort of comfort I knew wasn't available anywhere else.

I'd woken up before my alarm, and quietly thanked God that it was Saturday. After giving my phone a suspicious sort of look, I shut it off before anyone could get a hold on me.

After Elijah's promise of the fact that we would speak on yesterday's debacle today, I didn't want to give him any chance to speak to me. I tossed the small device into the drawer of my nightstand, never sparing it another thought.

After a quick shower, I'd ran a shaky hand through my curls, conjuring up an explanation on how the night ended, in order to feed it to parents.

But when I finally descended down the staircase, I realized that my mother was gone—most likely working, and my father was watching a movie on the big screen. I could hardly catch what the actors were saying, as the movie was made in Israel.

Although, my father seemed to enjoy it.

He smiled once realizing I was finally awake, and patted the spot beside him. "Good morning. How did you sleep?"

I shrugged, pulling my knees into my chest, after sliding onto the couch beside him. "I slept okay. Has mom gone to work already?"

I nodded, taking a small look around, and realizing that Toro was also gone. "And Toro?"

My father was slightly distracted by the tv, speaking to me softly, while his eyes never strayed from the action happening on the screen. "Zara came to pick him up for another one of their walks, she's sweet, isn't she?"

I nodded, and relaxed my posture a bit more. Zara is a distant cousin of mine, who recently moved from Romania, to here. She's lives in Springfield, but comes to visit from time-to-time. She and Toro have some sort of special bond, since she has a golden retriever of her own.

Sometimes, whenever she has time, she comes to pick him up, and they go on long walks with one another.

I'd only met her a handful of times, but she seemed alright.

My father looked over to me once more, as though sensing the sadness that was pouring out from inside of my heart. Yesterday had been an emotional rollercoaster. It was as though one second, I was on cloud nine, hanging out with Elijah.

And then the next, I couldn't stop crying in the men's restroom.

It was all very hazy and saddening.