Chapter 14 - Disconnect

Leaving work at the end of the day was chaotic

Leaving work at the end of the day was chaotic. I wasn't too worried about myself, dealing with the press and photographers was probably something I was going to have to get used to, but I was worried about the people who worked for me and had nothing to do with the situation. We sent everyone out in pairs until it was only Rose and I left in the building.

"Right," Rose said, one second away from smearing some eyeliner on her cheeks like she was Rambo going into battle, "head down, move fast, and we go straight for your car. Are you sure you're okay to drive?"

"I'll be fine." I gave a casual shrug, belying that I was shit-scared and imagining the worst.

Dee had been to my house to pick up Stan and some clothes and a few other things I'd need to stay at theirs, and she'd said there were paparazzi outside waiting. She'd managed to slip in and out unnoticed by using the back entrance, but it really brought home what was happening and that they weren't going to get bored any time soon.

Rose checked through the glass doors and shook her head, "This is crazy."

"I know."

She reached for my hand and gave it a quick, reassuring squeeze. "Alright, well, let's just get this over with."

My heart raced as we stepped outside, the first time I'd left the building all day. I set the alarm for the night and quickly locked the door while Rose kept an eye out, my hands trembling as I tried to get the key in the lock, and sighing with relief when I managed to do it.

The two of us stuck close as we headed for my car, stepping quickly but not too much that we caught anyone's attention. We got halfway across the carpark when I heard my name being called, loudly.

"Shit!" I hissed, glancing at where the call had come from and seeing a flurry of movement in my direction.

Dropping my head down, eyes darting from concrete to my car, I kept pressing at the key until I heard the familiar clunk of it unlocking. We took larger, quicker steps, pulling the doors open and diving inside as soon as we were close enough. I felt somewhat safer in the car, but my breath was quick and my hands shook even worse than they had a moment ago.

"Fucking pond life," Rose swore, pulling on her seatbelt with such vigour that it wouldn't release, which only angered her more.

I'd expected them to swarm the car like I'd seen in movies, but when they stayed by the exit and on the wall of the car park, I realised they weren't allowed to come onto the property. Was it too late to just stay in the office? Just accept it as my permanent residence? No, I had to be brave. I'd known what I was signing up for when Harry and I sat down and agreed we were going to give our relationship a real go. The truth was out and I had to simply face it head on. How bad could it be, really?

Grabbing the bottle of water from my handbag, which I'd thrown onto Rose's lap, I took a long drink to ease the fact my mouth had gone completely dry.