Chapter 25

Zach's POV

I sent Naomi my address.

Would she really come all this way just to put medicine on my wounds? It seems silly...

But I somehow feel touched that she seems to care so much... I smiled at myself.

A few minutes later, the doorbell rang. I got up from my position on the couch to open it and there she was. She even brought a first aid kit.

She gave me a timid smile like she was not sure of why she insisted she come over.

"Hey, there come in," I said. She smiled again and went inside. She looked around the living room with a thoughtful expression. She then turned to me and pointed at the couch, telling me to sit down.

"Sit." She said and I did. She placed the kit on the table and grabbed my hand. It felt nice and warm. Her hands are warm and soft.

She looks sad as she scanned my knuckles. She then proceeded to clean the wounds on my knuckles. She looks very serious.

"You know, Naomi, it's really not that bad of an injury. I mean I appreciate you doing this but it's really not that necessary. I've been in fights before." I said.

"I know. I just wanted to. Also, this gives me an excuse to talk to you." She answered without looking up.

"Talk to me about what?" I asked.

"I was wondering if we could, you know, uhm go back to being, uhm friends?" She said nervously.

I didn't answer right away. Be friends with her? Is that really a smart thing to do? He is out there. He could be watching. He would definitely use her against me. I can't let that happen. I just can't.

I looked at her blankly. "We can't be friends," I said.

She frowned. "Is it because of that guy?"

I don't respond. She nodded slowly.

"Naomi, I meant what I said. About you were staying away from me. Today was just an exception because I wanted you to meet my sister. It's not safe to be around me." I said to her earnestly.

She looked at me sadly. "So we can't be friends.''

I shook my head. "No."

She nodded.

I heard footsteps and turned around and saw Lucy.

"Hey there Lucy," I said. She smiled at me and then her smile widen when she saw Naomi.

"Naomi!" She squealed in delight and jumped into Naomi's lap.

"How are you?" She asked my sister.

"Coolie yo!" She said with a bright smile. Naomi and I ended up laughing. Hahaha, coolie yo indeed...

"Lucy, can you do to your room for a while, please? I need to talk to Naomi about something." I said to Lucy. She nodded and, without another word, went upstairs. Naomi sent me a confused look.

"I want you to know why we can't be friends," I said to her. Her eyes widen comically.

"You're willing to tell me?"

I thought for a moment and nodded.

"Austin" I spat out like a curse word "he was that guy's best friend."

"That guy?" She asked confused.

"The guy we saw last time. The one who looks like me." I said. Her eyes widen with shock.

"We used to be friends, you know. That guy, Austin, James, and I. We used to be the closest of friends," I said sadly.

She frowned. "What happened?" I fisted my hand in anger.

"A car crash happened."

"I don't understand." She said softly.

"His parents were going on a trip. His parent and my parents were the best of friends, so my parents gave them a ride to the airport. But my dad lost control of the brake and crashed into a building. Luckily no one in the vicinity was hurt. His parents weren't lucky. They both died on the spot since they received most of the impact."

I stopped for a moment and looked at her. Her eyes were wide and glassy like she's about to cry.

"He blamed my parent. He was so angry which is natural but he couldn't move on. Even after a few months, he still blamed them. He hated me too for taking my parent's side. He felt betrayed which was what he told me. He told me my parents were murderers and that they were always jealous of his parents, so I punched him hard in the face which wasn't the smartest move. He hated me even more. He was always vengeful, even the littlest things."

"So what did he do? What was his revenge?" Naomi asked hesitantly.

My eyes hardened with anger and sorrow.

"He kidnapped my sister." I spat out angrily. "My sister who was still two years old and who had nothing to do with it! He kidnapped her and hit her with a whip! Want to know what he said? What he told me when I arrived? He said that I deserved this for not siding with him and for taking the side of my parents! That asshole! My dad didn't have control over the brakes! What was he supposed to do? Stop the car with fucking mind power?! I told him again and again that my parents were not to blame but he wouldn't listen!"

Naomi's eyes started to tear up as she placed a hand on my shoulder for comfort.

"I always thought there was something up with him. I always felt uneasy with him like there was something wrong. I told James about it and he said he felt the same. I couldn't tell Austin since he was closer to him."

"Where does Austin fit in all of this?" She asked softly.

"He was helping him. Austin just stood there while he was hurting my sister. He didn't do anything to help and when the police came, he vanished. So the police didn't arrest since there was no evidence." I said angrily.

She didn't say anything as tears ran down her cheeks.

"This is why I can't be seen with you. He might use you against me. He is already watching you." I said softly.

She nodded and sobbed "Poor Lucy. How could he do that to her?"

She covered her face with her hands as she cried. I didn't know what to do so I just wrapped an arm over her shoulders and pulled her close to me. We were like that for a while until she calmed down.

"What's his name?" She said quietly.

"Carter Haze."

***

There! After how long! Hehehe, Zach's past with C. H. is finally known... Or is it?

Vote and comment!