Chapter Five

Chapter Five

            The tex-mex place was nearby, and within a couple of minutes they were seated in the restaurant. Ashleigh picked at the chips and salsa while Wynter sipped on her drink. Baylor sat still rather unhappily.

            If you’d told him this morning this was how his evening was going to go, he wouldn’t have believed it. In fact, he had no idea why he was sitting here with these two while Rosalyn sat at home, unconscious.

            He wanted to say he didn’t believe them at all, but he knew how much Wynter and Ashleigh cared about their friend. He couldn’t see them running off like this unless they really believed what they were talking about.

            “So, how exactly do you find another guy?” he asked, slightly curious.

            “We just talked about people we knew, and then when we got someone likely, we asked the number,” Ashleigh explained to him.

            Baylor didn’t know how much he trusted this phone number thing. They didn’t know if whoever was texting them was Rosalyn’s friend or enemy, and it would be hard to find out without knowing their identity.

            “Who do you think is texting you?” he asked now, grabbing a chip from the basket.

            Wynter halfheartedly shrugged her shoulders. “I doubt its anyone we know,” she said after a moment of thought.

            “What makes you say that?” He tilted his head to glance over at the girl.

            “They keeps telling us there’s this whole part of her life we don’t know about. I would guess they’re from there,” she explained.

            “What if he’s one of the guys?” Ashleigh wondered. No one answered that question, seemingly taking in the possibilities.

            “I would guess whoever it is, they’re part of this too,” Wynter finally said. “So who would you guys guess next?”

            “Who is she friends with?” Baylor asked. “I mean I would say David and Matthew maybe.”

            Ashleigh typed both names into her phone. Their food was delivered, and they all began to eat. A sudden noise let them know the number had replied.

            Good guesses, but both are wrong. Come on, think harder.

            “We guessed wrong,” Ashleigh said softly.

            “Well, who would you add?” Wynter asked.

            “Didn’t she date someone?” Baylor suggested. “Everett, I think?”

            “They aren’t close,” Wynter scoffed. Ashleigh stayed silent.

            “How do you know? Apparently none of us know her,” he pointed out. Wynter shrugged.

            “We can try, but I doubt that will work,” she said. She took the phone from Ashleigh and typed it in.

            Baylor wondered what caused the sudden attitude change in her. She had been talking a moment before, but she had suddenly gone silent. He guessed it had something to do with Everett, but he wasn’t sure what.

            He worried a little that they wouldn’t finish in time. He had read in the messages they only had until midnight tomorrow, which really wasn’t that much time. The phone went off, startling him.