☾ 4: Snowball ☾

I woke up to find myself behind bars yet again. I lifted my head in panic. Studying the cage I saw that this was far different than the one that held me in the room back at the lab. These bars were smaller and much thinner, in squares rather than long polls.

I was in a dog crate. I looked down at my paws to see bandages wrapped around them. They still hurt of course but much less than the agony I was in before.

What had happened while I was asleep? I focused my sight outside the bars and saw I was in a bedroom, not the alleyway I had fallen asleep in.

"Good morning pup!"

I nearly had a heart attack at the sudden voice.

A pair of legs walked over to the crate and as the person kneeled I was greeted by a girl. She looked about my age. She had brown hair with blonde tips, hazel brown eyes, and a light dash of freckles along her face. She was quite beautiful.

She put her hand against the crate which I assume was to let me sniff her. I didn't though since well why would I? I'm not an actual dog. It was a cute gesture though. The thought caused my tail to wag without me realizing it.

She giggled adorably. "I'm going to let you out but promise you won't bite me?"

"I promise," I said even though she couldn't understand me.

She opened the crate door and before I got out I stretched which made her giggle once more.

"Sorry, I got you late. I had an appointment but I hope you liked the burger! When I came back you were fast asleep. I honestly thought you might have been dead at first."

I couldn't help myself. It was like instinct kicked in and before I knew it I was standing on my hind legs.

I knocked her to the floor and licked her all over her face.

"H-hey cut it out!" She said through laughs.

Realizing what I was doing I sat up in embarrassment. Why did I just do that? Sure I'm a dog but that was basically the equivalent of me kissing her! If I was still human that would have definitely been very very weird to do to someone you just met. Not that I would have wanted to kiss her if I was still human of course. Sure she's pretty and all but I don't even know her. Hell, I've been locked up so long I never even had the opportunity to date let alone crush on anyone.

"My parents said I could keep you since I have good grades and all. My mom says you're a pretty dog but my dad thinks you're a wolf."

Wise man.

"We had a husky before but she passed of old age." She looked down at her lap.

I never had a pet before but I know it must hurt to lose something you love. I laid my chin on her lap in hopes of comforting her. She pet my head in response.

"You're big. My previous husky fit fine in that crate but you seemed squished."

I did notice earlier that I couldn't fully stand in that crate. Hopefully, I don't get out in there again. Who would have thought from one cage to another?

"Hmm, you need a name. What should I call you?" She looked into my eyes as if expecting an answer from me.

I'd tell you my name if I could.

"What about Snowball?"

Oh my god! I don't care how pretty or nice you are! What kind of name is that? That's something someone would name their cat or small dog maybe even a bunny. The embarrassment of being a wolf and having the name Snowball is beyond me.

It doesn't surprise me she'd pick that name though. Her room was pretty much all pink. She seems very much into cute things.

Back at home, my room was a dull white. Though given how my parents were the white over time got stained by dirt, dust, and mold.

This got me thinking about my past and where I am now. My life truly sucks. Given that I'm now a wolf with the potential of somehow turning back into a human, I'd be a target for everyone. I'd still need to be on the run from those who would surely want to pick and prod at me. I am the first major breakthrough in scientific history.

"Hey pup what's wrong? You look sad." The girl reached her hand out and rubbed my ear.

It felt oddly nice. My back leg unexpectedly started to thump.

"It's time for bed, do you need to use the restroom?" She asked.

Come to think of it when was the last time I went? Well, it's not like I ate or drank much to constantly go but now the thought is there. I got up and so did she leading me outside. Their house was pretty big, her room was upstairs.

She opened the sliding door which led to the back yard it had some grass and a small river. Lakehouse it would seem.

I guess since I'm now a wolf I will need to go out here. How fun. I walk around and look back at the girl. She was still out with me just staring at me.

Okay. So, I know I'm a wolf but no way am I going with her watching! I let out a whine.

"What's wrong?"

She won't know. I went over to her and pushed her to the area facing the river and went back to the grass. I turned around to see what she'd do.

"Do you not want me to look or something?" She asked curiously and almost in disbelief.

I barked and wagged my tail.

She seemed even more confused but she turned around regardless. When I was done I walked over to her and we went back to her room.

She walked over to her closet and started to talk to me.

"Tomorrow I have to go shopping with my mom but it shouldn't take long. I'll leave you out of your crate but you better not make a mess." She then started unzipping her pants.

"Woah, wait you're gonna change!? In front of me?!" I said momentarily forgetting my current state.

My heart started to race as I ran under her bed before I could see anything.

Why is this bothering me so much? I mean we are both girls and I'm in wolf form so it's not too weird. It's not like I'm interested in girls either. At least I don't think I am.

"Hey, what are you doing under there?"

I heard as she walked over to me. Knowing for a fact she didn't finish changing I quickly cover my eyes with my paws in panic.

She lifts the bed skirt and tries calling me out but I refused. I heard her finish changing and before she could call me again I was already out.

"Finally, you come out weirdo."

No, you're the weirdo here not me.

She hopped into bed and patted it for me to get on. I didn't move. My human mind finds it very awkward yet my wolf mind couldn't care less.

"Come one! Come on girl." She said in a baby voice.

She's so cute. Wait... What?

She started laughing and grabbed her phone to take a picture of me.

"Look how cute you are!"

She showed me the picture and my head was tilted looking perfectly at her.

"Now come on so we can get some sleep." She patted the bed once more.

I ignored it and walked over to my crate.

"Wow. You prefer that old tiny crate over a bed?" She sighed.

"Fine." She sounded slightly upset and as much as I tried not to let it bother me it did.

Why do I care? I don't know but I hopped up on her bed anyway and she looked up at me.

"I knew you'd come around." She teased.

If I could roll my eyes I would. I went to the end of the bed, curled up laying my head on her feet, and fell fast asleep.