The Sorting Hat

As Draco stepped foot onto the platform the first thing he noticed was the number of students who were stood staring at the castle. Draco made his way over to Crabbe and Goyle who were patiently waiting for him.  "It's beautiful don't you think?" Theodore said, strutting over. As they looked over at the castle a voice boomed over the chatter of kids.  Draco looked ahead to see the oaf from Diagon Alley, Hagrid, standing at the end of the platform.  He rolled his eyes as all the first years obediently followed Hagrid towards the lake.  "No more than four to a boat, don't want ye tipping over!" Hagrid's voice bellowed as he pointed to the plethora of boats waiting at the shore.

   Draco was the first to get into a boat, followed by Blaise, Theodore, and Goyle. He looked around to see some of the first years' struggle to get in their boats. Draco then heard Theodore howl with laughter when Neville accidentally let his foot slip into the water. As they all watched Neville pull his foot out of the water, they felt the boat stagger forward and start making it's way to the castle.

   It was a sight to see, the moon illuminated the towers causing them to cast dark shadows on the lake. Draco even looked up and caught a glimpse of Scorpius right by the tallest tower.  The lake itself was large and when Draco looked into it, he could have sworn he saw a giant tentacle.

    When they reached the shore Draco was the first to exit the boat and walk up the steps to the school.  He had completely forgotten about the others that were now running to catch up with him.  "Malfoy wait up!" Crabbe shouted, completely out of breath.  As they all caught up to him, they heard the massive doors to the school open. An older woman with emerald green robes and black hair emerged and stood within the door to the entrance hall. 

    "The firs' years, Professor McGonagall," boomed Hagrid. Draco immediately cringed his face in disgust, even his voice was barbaric.  McGonagall led them through a door into a smaller room and positioned herself in front of all the students.

   "Welcome to Hogwarts." Her voice was raspy but pleasant and she gave a cheery smile. "The start-of-term banquet will begin shortly, but before you take your seats in the Great Hall, you will be sorted into your houses. The sorting ceremony is very important because, while you are here, your house will be like your family. You will take classes with your house, sleep in your house dormitory, and spend free time in your house common room." She said this so easily, Draco knew this wasn't the first time she'd done this.  "The four houses are Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw, and Slytherin." Draco beamed and puffed his chest up after hearing the last one.

    "Each house has its own noble history and has produced outstanding witches and wizards. While you are at Hogwarts, your triumphs will earn your house points, while any rule-breaking will lose points. At the end of the year, the house with the most points is awarded the house cup, a great honor. I hope each of you will be a credit to whichever house becomes yours." Professor McGonagall paused to make sure the kids were listing and then continued.

  "The Sorting Ceremony will take place in a few minutes in front of the rest of the school. I suggest you all smarten yourselves up as much as you can while you are waiting." Her eyes lingered on a couple of students. Her eyes met with Draco's and he swore she smiled.  "I shall return when we are ready for you, please wait quietly," McGonagall said as she swiftly left the room.

   Draco turned to Crabbe and Goyle quickly. "You heard her smarten yourselves up. We need to get sorted into Slytherin, " Draco said this rather aggressively.  Crabbe and Goyle nodded, but when Draco turned back around they looked at each other and shrugged. They knew that Draco was better than them in every way. They both had already agreed that if they followed Draco everywhere they would be better off. Plus if Draco was anything like his father they didn't want to get on his bad side.