Chapter Seventeen

"You can't hide forever, princess," a voice taunted.

Snow had been on the run for four months, not returning to Azgeda or Polis.

And today, she happened to stumble across a second Skaikru settlement.

She didn't know these people- they called themselves farm station. But she did know they hated Azgeda, and they were far enough north that Snow had to wear furs to keep warm, and therefore they thought she was one of them.

So she was hiding in the trees studying them, a stupid dry twig snapped, and they had seen her.

For future reference, bright red hair definitely doesn't help you hide in the snow.

"Come out," the voice continued.

She edged around the camp, trying to avoid the scouts and sentinels, but a jolt of electricity hit her side.

Snow was unable to move, but wasn't quite unconscious yet. That was probably the goal.

"Gotcha," the voice sounded like it was smiling.

They took her to a place to the edge of one of the major roads.

"Answer our questions or get electrocuted," the man said, "It's simple. I'm Pike. What's your name?"

Snow sighed, "Ezra kom Sangedakru." Her alias name for the time being.

"Will anyone come for you?" Pike asked.

"They're already looking for me," Snow didn't see the harm in answering their questions, "I don't want them to find me."

Pike nodded, "So you're on the run. How long?"

"Four months."

"Why?"

Snow sighed, "I'd like to stop killing for the woman who murdered my sister."

Maybe then they'd pity her.

"Who is this woman?"

"My Queen," Snow replied, leaving out her name and clan, "My grandmother."

It's not like any Azgeda warriors were listening, and even if they were, what could go wrong? She was stronger, faster, and smarter.

"You're just a kid," Pike said, "How old?"

"Nineteen."

Pike nodded again, "So why did you work for them, and for how long?"

"My whole life, until I realized I had other options."

"Why were you sneaking around camp?"

Snow nearly didn't answer, and nearly let it slip that they weren't the only Skaikru on Earth, "I got curious."

"You speak English?"

"Yes," and here's where she asked, "You. Behind Pike, short black hair." The woman flinched, "Yes you."

Pike frowned, "Ms. Green, don't answer her."

"Green?" Where has she heard that last name before- "Are you related to Monty Green?"

"You know the hundred?" Pike referred to the hundred kids they sent down, and Snow nodded.

Before they could ask anymore questions, Snow could move again. She dislocated her thumb, slipped through the zip ties, and started to get up and walk away.

"Ezra, wait-"

There was the sound of stomping feet, and of warriors talking. Azgeda.

Snow backed up and let them grab her, but stuck her finger in front of her lips, "Shhhhh."