Obsessions

"Alright May, I'll be over in twenty minutes." I hung up the phone and threw it in my bag. May had called asking if I could help her with some boxes, they were full of stuff from mine and Peter's childhood, so she wasn't sure if I wanted to keeep some things. Although it seemed like a boring task, I was quite excited to look through all of my childhood memories.

Pulling into the driveway, I saw May run out of the house, hugging me as soon as I stepped out of the car. We instantly began chatting as we went into the house, boxes scattered around the hall and in the living room. She made us a drink each and got out bits of food before we started sorting through the boxes.

It had been about one or two hours by the time we were finished. Throughout that time, we had come upon old and embarrassing pictures, drawings that we had done, letters and some baby photos of Peter. We had been laughing so hard that it hurt. Most of the boxes were going back up to the attic so we decided that we might as well start that whilst we were still moving about.

"May, where did you go? There are more boxes to be passed up." I called down.

There was no reply. Climbing down the ladder, I looked in some of the rooms, calling her name. I then came to Peter's room, where May was sitting on the bed. She was staring at the wall in front of her. As I walked in to stand beside her, I followed her gaze and was shocked by what I saw.

All over one wall were news clippings, article pieces, pictures, diagrams and red celotape linking everything together. It was all linked to his parents, posted notes had questions written on them. In the middle of it all was a picture of Peter when he was a child and his parents.

"Oh god, what has he done?" She gasped.

Walking closer, I noticed a bundle of pictures with me in them. Above was a picture of Gwen with a note stuck to the corner. Written on it was:

I made a promise

That was probably referring to the promise he made to Gwen's dad. He hadn't really stuck to it before we were dating though I wasn't sure why he still felt like he had to protect her.

The rest of the photos were all of me and Peter, some quite new though a lot were old ones, when we weren't dating. I smiled at them until I saw the note linked to it. Scribbled on it, it said:

Do I have to lose you too?

Peter's voice echoed through the hall as he made his way upstairs. His smile dropped as soon as he saw us in his room. May's face only showed anger so I decided that it would be best if I left them to it. I brushed my hand against Peter's, hoping he understood that I was trying to comfort him.

Whilst they were talking/arguing, I waited downstairs, hoping that they wouldn't fall out. It was hard not to hear their conversation but after a while their voices grew quieter. I heard footsteps coming down the stairs, May appearing in the doorway.

"I'm so sorry Bethan, you didn't need to see that. He's waiting for you upstairs." May said before she left to go to the kitchen.

Making my way upstairs, I wondered why Peter was trying to find out about his parents. Had something triggered this? How long had it been going on for? Peter was sat where May was, looking at the wall too. Leaning on the door frame, I also scanned the evidence scattered on the wall.

"You weren't supposed to see this." He mumbled. I walked over to where the pictures of just us were.

"Peter, why? Why has this just suddenly happened? Where did this all come from?" I asked, still looking at the pictures.

"I....everything just hit me. That's the only answer I can come up with."

"And this question?"

He looked up to see what I was pointing at."That's the a question that runs through my head everyday. It doesn't matter when or where, it's always stuck in my mind. It won't ever leave either."

Without saying anything, I rushed over to him and threw my arms around him, making us fall back on the bed. This wasn't fair on him; he had so many questions that couldn't be answered along with a huge responsibility on his shoulders and he had people close to him that he worried about, me being one of them.

"Please don't worry about me. I don't want you to be distracted because of me or any of this." I pleaded as I pulled away. I was now lying on top of him, snuggling into his chest. We were silent for a minute or so before Peter sat up resulting in me having to straddle him.

"How can I not? I love you Bethan." He took my face in his hands and was starting to lean in

"I love you too." Our lips met in the middle, I could feel him smiling.

It was starting to get quite heated as Peter flipped me onto my back. We only stopped when we heard a gasp, both of us sitting up quickly. May was stood in the doorway, stuttering as she closed the door and scurried away. Peter and I laughed, both embarrassed and amused by May's appearance. The smiles and laughter were only there for a while before we were back to the problem.

"Let's not let this ruin anything, please." Peter said. I nodded before we laid back down again, together.