Four: An Innocent Game of Truth and Dare

"You sure you are going to be okay here alone?" my mother asks, a worried look spreading across her face.

"I'm sure. Tyson is coming over soon, he's going to stay the weekend with me." She seems satisfied with my answer, but her face still shows concern.

"Alright, call us if you need anything." She hands my father her suitcase to load up in the car and hugs me tightly.

"Mom, I'll be fine. Enjoy yourselves. You deserve it."

She releases me, giving me a tight smile. "See you in two days."

They are gone soon after. I walk around the quiet house, peeking quickly in every room. It's something I've been doing since the incident. It makes me feel more secure knowing I've checked all possible areas. Our house hasn't changed much over the past decade, besides some newer furniture, everything has remained constant. I walk into Mikey's room and it looks as though a tornado blew through it. There are dirty clothes strewn about the floor, his bed is unmade, and I can barely see the floor beneath all the clutter. Some things never change. I smile to myself, shaking my head lightly. Once finished upstairs, I head back down to the main level and check the windows, pulling the blinds shut.

Tyson will be over in less than an hour, and although I'm antsy being alone, it's not terrible. I make my way to our study where a mahogany grand piano sits. It's been forever since I've played. I used to take lessons when I was a little girl but after I refused to practice, my parents cancelled them. It was understandable. There is only one song I still remember from start to finish, Beethoven's Fur Elise. My fingers instantly fall on the ivory keys and I let the music take me back. Back to when things were simple in my life. Back when I had a zest for life and a need for adventure. It feels like eternities ago.

I don't even hear the front door open or Tyson sneak inside behind me. I'm too lost in my own world. When I finish, I feel eyes on me. I turn around slowly, realizing that for the first time in what feels like forever, I was able to forget about my troubles and worries. Forget that I am not normal and will never be again. Remember a simpler time.

"You never told me you could play," Tyson says softly, setting his duffle bag on the floor and approaching me.

"It never came up." I shrug, closing the piano lid and standing up from the bench.

"Don't stop on account of me." He holds up his hands in surrender.

"I'm not." I look down at my feet sheepishly. "That's just the only song I know."

"Well, you could have fooled me." Tyson smiles a toothy smile back at me. "So, what kind of trouble can we get into while your parents are away?"

I'm not much of a rebel and honestly, never have been. Considering we can't even leave the house, our options seem very limited.

I look around the study, pretending to be deep in thought.

"That's what I thought!" Tyson exclaims. "Good thing I came prepared." He walks over to his duffel bag, unzips it, and begins shuffling around inside.

"What are you doing?" I ask, coming up behind him, attempting to get a better view.

Swiftly, he pulls out a bottle of vodka. "Ah-ha!"

I can't help but grin. He really wasn't kidding. "But it's only us...how much fun can it really be?"

"It will only be lame if we allow it to be." He jumps up and begins heading to my kitchen.

I follow as he opens the cupboard and pulls out two small cups. "Should we do shots or mixed drinks?"

I can't remember the last time I drank. But vodka used to be my drink of choice back in the day, so I shrug. "You decide."