Chapter Eighteen

Chapter Eighteen

We teleported to one of the small islands in Leanorius.

I recognized it as the island that was home to the merpeople of Atlantis. But they weren't your average sing folk songs and want to walk on land and play with fish kind of merpeople. They were a violent race of bloody thirsty creatures that not only ate their prey while it was still alive, but they loved to play with them, making them think they could escape before dragging them back under.

Suffice it to say, they'd hopefully be out on a hunt rather than sticking around the island we currently stood on.

The island was thick with untamed jungle, the sound of animals rustling and racing to get away from the source of power that had arrived there. We stood in our group until every last person was accounted for before Lea took the lead.

"There are two entrances from here," Lea explained, pointing to the west of the island, "One down in a pool there. You'll have to swim quite a bit to get to the main entrance that lets out near Zetnos's main chamber. The one on the opposite end of the island is protected by a griffin. So. Good luck with that. I rather swim." The desdios grimaced.

"You're making us fight a griffin?" Nikos complained. Valarian elbowed him before turning to Lea with a low bow.

"We'll take the griffin, my goddess. Good luck to you." He said. Lea nodded and gave him a firm handshake before she gestured for our group to follow her. We started through the trees toward the west pool, and Anexius made a noise under his breath that made me look at him to see him pause his trek to glare out the corner of his eye at the main island of Leanorius.

"Anexius." I said, getting his attention. He turned to me with a grim stare before he looked away and moved on ahead of us. I sighed, following behind him as my aunt Lea came up beside me, watching Anexius warily.

"Will he be all right?" She asked, tying her hair up as she walked. I shrugged.

"I don't know. I'd like to think so." I admitted quietly. Lea said nothing to that for a while as we continued walking. I cleared my throat uncomfortably.

"Ah, speaking of all right, what about us? If I remember correctly, this island is inhabited by the merpeople." I said. Lea gave me an innocent stare.

"This one? Really?" She asked. I glared.

"You flashed us here while knowing that."

"I didn't say anything because I didn't want to stir up panic. Besides, the mers should know better than to attack gods, especially you, Anexius, and I. They worship us."

"Just because they worship us doesn't mean they won't hesitate to eat us. You know they tried to eat Teslius once when he came out here to swim with the sharks."

"Yes, but anyone would try to eat Teslius." Lea replied with a snort. I shook my head at her. We continued to trek through the jungle, using our powers to make a path through the thick of it. It was incredibly green with all the foliage, the vines dangling from the trees, the sound of a snake hissing nearby, and a wild pig scampering off to safety while snorting. It wasn't for another few minutes that we finally approached the pool my aunt had referred to.

It was a deep green pool that disappeared into the side of a mountain while the other end of the pool had a small river that led out to the ocean. It was eerily quiet, aside from the gently licking of the water against the steep grassy sides.

"I hope your suits are waterproof." I told Hades, who looked at me, offended.

"Do I look like a nimrod to you?" He returned. I rolled my eyes and looked back down into the water warily. This wasn't going to be easy. Once we got into those waters, we would have to swim fast and hard to get to the entrance to Xandria. Not to mention, if the merpeople had returned and were hanging around, they would know the instant we went into the water that we were there and they would gun straight for us.