❄ Chapter 38 ❄

Baby Tooth chittered nervously as she tried to keep up with Jack. The ice creator leaped down the hole into the darkness to find out more about this familiar voice who keeps calling him.

The little fairy tugged on Jack's dark blue with ice crystals covered hoodie as the white-haired boy shrugged her off. "Baby Tooth, Baby Tooth, come on! I have to find out what that is!"

As the boy looked to his left, he is greeted by an open-air chasm. His eyes looked up to see cages, probably hundreds of them. All of the other baby fairies were locked up into the hanging pieces of metal. Happily chittering when Jack came into sight.

Jack flew into the open air, realizing that he just did a huge discovery. Hopping from cage to cage, landing on the rusted material.

"Ssh, keep it down! I'm gonna get you out of here just as soon as- "

As Jack was just trying to free one cage full of fairies, as he was interrupted by the same voice that haunted his mind these moments. His eyebrows lifted as he looked at his right side, eying the golden piles of tooth boxes that were also stolen from the Tooth palace.

A gasp escaped his mouth as he finished his sentence. His staff in his right hand. "-as I can..."

With a loud thud, Jack landed onto the tooth boxes pile to the astonishment of Baby Tooth. It looked like she wanted nothing more than freeing her friends and get the hell out of there. Unfortunately for her, Jack had other plans as he was trying to find his Tooth box out the enormous pile underneath his two feet.

The fairy nervously squeaked, indicating that it was time for them go. Jack started to search for his box, trying to find his own portrait picture that were located at the ends of the boxes. The golden objects rattled underneath his hands as he heard a raspy familiar voice that belonged to no other than Pitch Black.

"Looking for something?"

Jack's head perked up at his presence as he didn't hesitate to fire an ice blast at the evil spirit. The shadow of the grayish man could be seen on the walls of the chasm as Jack chased him. His staff ready to throw another one of his ice blasts.

"Don't be afraid Jack. I'm not gonna hurt you... for your girlfriend, that's another story." The second part of the sentence wasn't audible for anyone but Pitch himself. He had other plans with Nixie to get what he always wanted. Power, stability and security to be an almighty creature that no one could compare to. Nixie and Jack were the only ones who could take that away from him. And he wasn't planning to let that happen. An evil grin evident on his face as his dark eyes showed nothing but pure evil.

Jack spotted him standing on a bridge. The teenager chased him with his staff in both of his hands. Landing on the bridge a couple of feet away from the dark spirit.

"Afraid? I'm not afraid of you."

Pitch nonchalantly faced the other way as he moved, it looked like he floated underneath his long black cloth that was hanging around his slender body. "Maybe not. But you are afraid of something."

"You think so, huh?" Jack moved forward and forward with still his staff in both of his hands as he came closer to Pitch. He man 'floated' away with his hands behind his back, keeping the nonchalant attitude towards the teenage boy. As if he didn't care at all but at the same time did.

A chuckle escaped Pitch's mouth as he slightly tilted his head around. "I know so!" Pitch turned around, now fully showing his grayish face towards Jack. His pointy face features illuminated by the dimmed light that shown through the dark chasm.

"It's the one thing I always know, people's greatest fears. Yours is that no one will ever believe in you. Oh, and another thing, that the unsolved mystery who ever loved you all those years ago, will stay unknown... forever." A dark twinkle in his eye was evident as if he was enjoying confronting people about their greatest fears, he was the Boogey Man after all.