εικοσι-εξι {26}✅

Amora

There were two Spartan guards at the door, together they pushed open the door for me and through the gap that opened, I could see inside the oracle's dimly lit lair. There were a few torches scattered around giving it an orange glow, and treasures that no doubt were from all corners of the world were left in piles leading up to her altar. At the end of the hall, there was a massive fire raging, the oracle was sat meditating in front wearing a white robe and a golden but dainty crown around her head, it was nothing too heavy, to emphasise that she was chosen by the gods.

She looked up, her eyes blacked out with paint, probably spiritual. Her face was straight and plain, with no emotion at all. I walked closer so she could get a better look at me, and her straight features moved, her eyes widened, and her eyebrows travelled up her forehead.

"The Spawn of Aphrodite..." Her voice was a low whisper and sent shivers down my body.

I raised my eyebrow. Was it a compliment?

"Uh thank you. I am told I'm beautiful frequently I guess," I shrug, not knowing how else to respond.

"No child, you are the spawn of Aphrodite. The daughter of the two queens of Sparta."

"You know my mum?" The tone of the conversation shifted, and I now knew it could not have been a joke.

"Are you lost young one? The whole Greek world knows your mothers. The Greek world knows of you too."

"What are you saying?" I was struggling to keep up with her as I continued to approach her altar.

"You're one of a kind Amora, heir to the throne of Sparta and daughter of the divine Aphrodite. Sworn enemy of Paris ruler of Athens and almost half of the Greek world...However, you're fated to save the world Paris has so tightly under her grasp"

"Hold on, can we slow down for a few minutes, nothing is making any sense. You're saying that my mother is Aphrodite? A God?"

"The Gods love coming down to earth and walking almost humans. Aphrodite's trip was an extended one, however. She fell in love, with your mother and then you." The oracle avoided giving a straight yes or no answer.

"So why isn't she here now, when the whole fate of the Greek world that she's supposed to be watching over is in danger?"

"It is not her destiny to save it, it is yours."

"What if I don't want to? I didn't ask for this."

"Fate doesn't give anyone options Amora. When Aphrodite descended from Mt Olympus, she didn't plan on falling in love and staying for so long, she didn't know it yet, but it was her fate and eventually, she embraced it. I would hope in due time you would too."

"What am I supposed to do?"

"Save Greece."

"You keep saying that! But I have no idea what I'm doing! For most of my life, I've only been trained in self-defence and now everyone around me wants to spring the massive weight of saving the Greek world. Even if I'm 25 it's not something I prepared for, neither I nor my friends have any experience with this Right now I'd rather be given a straight answer on what specifically you want me to do and how?"

"I know you're angry and confused, but if Aphrodite thought you couldn't do this then she wouldn't have returned to Olympus."

"What about Kassandra?"

"You'll find that out for yourself."

"Another riddle?"

"That's no riddle Amora, there are certain things the gods allow me to say and certain things they do not."