Chapter 61

"(Y/N), There you are. I see you're saying your goodbyes. Did I catch you at the wrong time?" Kirishima stood before me, casts strung up all three of his limbs except for his right arm, which appeared to be the least uninjured part on his body and supported him. He leaned on a single crutch and limped with every step, gauze pads patched everywhere on his skin. Nevertheless, he looked better than when I saw him.

"No Kirishima. It's okay." His usual cheery smile faltered when he noticed my fallen state, and I managed a small smile to ease his doubt. "What's up?"

He turned to the coffin with darkened eyes, sighing as he fought against painful memories. "Bakugo... I have so much to say. He and I were best buds even though he didn't admit it all the time, but I know you two were closer. Honestly, he told me not to tell anyone but he talked about you all the time, and in his last moments of battle he said your name."

My eyes stung but I ran out of tears as I continued to listen to Kirishima, half expecting Bakugo to burst out from somewhere and yell at the redhead for saying all that.

"He was a true and very manly hero and fought harder than the pro heroes, but (Y/N)... Keres is no joke. He's stronger than any villain I have ever seen, and I'm losing hope. I think it'll take everything we have to beat this guy." He paused to dry his tears, and I offered him a tissue which he gratefully took.

"So... Keres is invincible?" I asked a worried and scared look in my face which faded when Kirishima shook his head.

"No one is invincible, but this guy is on another level of strength. The pro heroes were discussing something yesterday, and I heard that the more we fight Keres the more intel and information we can get, which will eventually lead to our victory. I'm just scared..." I nodded, putting my hand on his shoulder to let him know that he didn't have to finish his sentence.

"I'm sorry (Y/N). I tried to protect Bakugo, I really did but I failed. I'm so sorry." He hung his head and sighed once more.

"It's okay Kirishima. It's not your fault, I understand. If Bakugo were here right now, he'd tell you to stay manly and move on. I'm sure he'd want the best for us." He gave me a tiny shark smile before throwing a thumbs up.

"Thanks (Y/N), I'm glad that Bakugo had someone like you... even though I'm not as close to you as you were to Bakugo, we're still friends. The whole of Class 1-A is behind you, remember that." My heart tugged at me as Kirishima said those words, limping away as he left me with a content feeling.

A plastic cup of water hovered in my face, and I took it before turning to Todoroki who had his hands in his pockets.

"It sounds like you're getting better. I'm glad." I placed my head on his shoulder, circling my fingers around the cold, foggy plastic.

"Yeah. I guess I am. Bakugo would have yelled at us to live and move on too, but I guess it's easier said than done. I miss him a lot, and I know that I should do everything I can to make sure that his death wasn't in vain." With determined eyes, I looked directly at Todoroki's.

"We're going to capture Keres with everything we've got. I know we can do it, and I'm going to make sure I get my provisional license so that I can help you guys." He smiled gently and opened his mouth to speak before cameras and microphones were shoved in our faces, the reporters whisper yelling as if not wanting to get caught.

"Can you tell us more about Katsuki Bakugo?"

"Are you his friend?"

"What would Bakugo say if he were here at this very moment?"

I felt overwhelmed and stepped behind Todoroki who thrust his arms out. "We are mere students who cannot provide you with the answers you need. Aizawa Sensei!" He beckoned our teacher over who just noticed the commotion and ushered them away with a commanding tone.

I sighed and took a sip of my drink. "This is tiring..."

"Would you like me to take you back to the dorm?" I shook my head at his offer and told him it was okay.

"I need to speak with Bakugo's mother first. I'll be back, Todoroki." He nodded and watched me walk over to the blonde with a gentle demeanour.

I was slightly mad at my mother for not attending the funeral, but I understood. She was a single mother who had to work twice as hard, and when I told her about Bakugo she comforted me but tried to make me understand her position which I did. I was also reminded that she was far away on a business trip, which was inconvenient for both of us at this time, but she still sent her regards to Ms. Bakugo.

Ms. Bakugo's once exciting eyes were now dull and puffy from crying, and it took her a moment to recognize me, and when she did she pulled me into a motherly hug; comforting and soft. "Ms. Bakugo... I'm so sorry."

She sniffed before giving me a smile that replicated Bakugos which pained me. "(Y/N), I can't imagine how you must be feeling right now. This was so sudden, and I can't believe my baby... my baby..." She paused and collected herself before continuing.

"He was so special and you were so precious to him. You motivated him to train and to make himself better, you played such a big role in his life. You made him a better person, (Y/N). And for that, I thank you. I appreciate everything you've done for him, and for sticking by his side even when he was being a little bitch." I let out a soft laugh and held her hands.

"... I miss him, I really do. I wish I did more for him." Her eyes softened at my words, and she pulled me into a motherly hug.

"You did more than he could ask for (Y/N), he was a hero, but he became more than that after he met you. You empowered him to push his limits and become better than he was every single day." With a sniff I hugged her harder, my chest aching in pain.

"Thank you, Ms. Bakugo."