Chapter 22

Sol

South Luzon Expressway

e4 e5

Nf3 Nc6

Be2 Bc5

This is exciting. This is exciting.

I've always wanted to travel with my boyfriend. And I like spontaneity, don't I? Spontaneity is good.

The word that was actually bouncing around her head, in place of "spontaneous" was "sudden." It described Neil showing up bright and early, before she even dressed up for school, telling her that they were taking a road trip and was going to make it to Naga just in time to greet her mom on her birthday.

It also described the SUV, not the car she had seen him drive to school two days ago. But he really wanted to drive all the way to her mom's house to "test it out."

It also described the idea of moving in with him in general. Which she hadn't told her mom about yet, by the way.

"Are you joking?" she said, more like yelped. "It's a long way! And my mom doesn't know... and I think she has plans..."

"Then we'll surprise her. Is there something wrong with us surprising her?"

The words were simple enough, but Sol could hear the vaguely accusing undertone already, had been hearing it for a while now, even when he wasn't asking about the moving-in thing. Or maybe she was just paranoid. Maybe he kept asking if she'd talked to her mom on the phone because he, well, just wanted to know if they were close.

Yeah right.

But was there anything wrong with an unscheduled showing up at the old hometown on her mom's birthday? Nothing wrong with that at all. If Sol hadn't said a word to anyone, hadn't had any conversations where breaking up with Neil was ever said aloud, she would be enjoying this more. But too late, she had told Hannah, and Hannah's disapproval was so inevitable, Sol could already feel it.

"Nothing's wrong," Sol said. "Let me just let her know that we're coming."

San Pablo

As they drove farther away from Ford River, Sol started to remember what home felt like.

The smell of rain, cooking oil, and the feeling of untrimmed grass under her feet.

It might have been the several arches that they'd passed through in this road trip so far, welcoming them into a rural city, and then bidding them a pleasant goodbye. There was something about rural cities, something un-Manila about them, and maybe that was the source of her confusion.

Or she was just getting homesick.

Or she was just freaking out.

Neil was still talking. He kept the conversation in the car at a steady pace, despite the unusually quiet breakfast they had at the gas station Starbucks back at the expressway. He talked about the car, how it had a weaker transmission than he expected. How he wished he had gotten them another model, and that it might not have what it took to drive them all the way to Camarines Sur.

Nxe5 Bxf2+

Kxf2 Nxe5

d4 Qf6+

Sol thought, Yeah this model sucks, you couldn't have stolen something more expensive?

But she didn't say it.

Later, Neil talked about their plans for the summer. The plan was to spend the summer break (spring in the US) at his parents' vacation home in Tahoe, but he just found out that it wasn't going to happen. Sol vaguely remembered that phone conversation weeks ago when he found out that the home had been sold, and he was really pissed about it still. He was really looking forward to going there with her, couldn't believe his parents did this to him, just another decision that he wasn't part of.

Sol thought, Yeah because it's all about you, right? Your parents need money and sell a house, and you're angry that it ruined your vacation plans.

But she didn't say it.

After a lunch and bathroom stop, and thirty minutes of being lost and scrambling for a cellphone signal to be able to check his map, he settled in and started talking about where they would move in. Together.

"I thought it would be Palm Estate," she said, referring to the place he was already renting.

"Yeah, but maybe we can find something nicer. Bigger. You've got a lot of stuff."

All of Sol's "stuff" could fit into a small bedroom just fine, but he was really into this.

"You're assuming my mom will say yes," she reminded him. "Remember, this woman had to be convinced to let me study this far away from her."

He slowed the car down and let, of all things, three goats pass in front of them. "She'll say yes," Neil said.

Sol really didn't think so. "You don't know my mom," she said.

"Your mom doesn't know me yet."

The goats safely made it to the other side, and lingered in front of the fruit stand. They started up again.

Sol thought, If she knew who you really are, she will definitely not say yes.

But she didn't say anything.

Bf3 Ng4+

Somewhere in Quezon

Kg3 h5

h3 h4+

Neil finally stopped talking, kind of.

Sol had dozed off in the car, and woke up when he nudged her, complaining of being lost. She couldn't help him, for the most part, because she had only ever really taken planes to travel to Manila.

"Are we even supposed to be here?" Neil said, fuming at the windshield. From the looks of it they were still in Quezon Province, but Sol couldn't say where exactly they should have been by then. "Don't you know anything helpful?"

They spent the next hour just driving, trying to find a reliable cellphone signal to call up the map again. Stopping random residents was no use, even though Neil made it a point to pull over and shake their hands. Every damn time. Not that it was any help—the people just sort of got intimidated for a second, and seemed like they genuinely wanted to help, but just couldn't answer with any coherence.

"Don't shake too hard," Sol had to say, when they stopped to ask a grandfather type manning an outdoor grill. He had to have been over seventy, and it was like his body crumpled a little when Neil got close. She saw this from her vantage point, still on the passenger seat of the car, and got the feeling that she'd seen this before.

It reminded her of when Neil talked to that other guy...

Well, what it really came down to was that Neil apparently didn't have many friends. He used to, when she first met him, but since they started dating she never really saw them anymore. Or she'd see him with someone, make a little effort to be friendly, and then not see that person again for months. Or at all.

Maybe because he had taken what he wanted from them?

In any case, he couldn't steal anything from the grandfather selling pork on the street. He couldn't be a threat to a street vendor lolo.

Could he? Where exactly does he draw the line huh?

It was her brain, but the voice sounded kind of like Hannah. So annoying.

"I've got a signal," Sol said, even though she didn't. "Come back here, let's just check the map."

Turned out, they weren't lost. A few meters down they did find a spot where they could load the driving directions again, and had apparently spent all that time stressing over nothing. But Neil hadn't spoken yet since he got back in the car.

Sol wasn't sure how she felt about that.

They passed the "Welcome to Camarines Sur" sign and she felt like she should say something.

"Home in half an hour," she said.

"It's not your home anymore," he muttered.

Kxg4 d6#