Classical Music

Story inspired by La Dispute's Yann Tiersen.

THURSDAY

"You should go!"

"Mm...", my voice sounds muffled under my plush beagle pillow,"...i don't know."

"Get out of bed, Allison.", even with a pillow on my face, i can hear the sound of my mother's fist tapping against my door frame. "I promise you'll have a great time. Plus, you know Evan, right?"

"Who?"

"The Peters' only son, he goes to the same school as you.", That sounded more like a question than anything else.

I remove my pillow from my face, taking a breath that isn't warm and stuffy. Its unbelievable -- how, just because me and this kid go to same school, I'm automatically supposed to be familiar with him. Just because I'm 16 doesn't mean I should know every other teenager in New York.

I try not to let any unwanted attitude slip into my response,"Eh, maybe..."

"Well, the party is Saturday." She turns to leave,"Let me know if you change your mind by then."

"Okay", i say, but i doubt she heard me.

FRIDAY

"Party? More like a 'Social Gathering' or whatever high class, wine-drinking lawyers and doctors call them", Sadie retorts. She shuts the door of her locker with more force than necessary, but honestly she doesn't look as though she cares. "They seem snobby anyway, i don't blame you for not wanting to go, i'd probably say the same thing."

Her short, mahogany-brown hair sways with the same energy as her step. I've always admired her for her confidence. At first glance you would think its a latin thing. Although, i don't know how to respond, so i let the silence speak for me.

"Do you know what's for lunch?", Sadie asks, unhesitant.

"No. Its probably pizza. The same thing they serve every Friday."

"Oh, haha, You're right."
After a while we enter the Cafeteria. For some reason, i think i should look to see if Evan is here, even though i doubt he has the same lunch as me, my eyes scan through the Cafeteria anyway.

"What do you think about that Evan Peters guy?", Sadie asks, adjusting the straps of her backpack onto her shoulders. I give her somewhat of a surprised look. Its almost as if she read my mind. Believe it or not, this has happened more than once - more than likely the result of a strong, four year friendship. Which is weird at the same time, because, as far as appearances go, Sadie and I are complete polar opposites. For example, she has short, brown hair, brown eyes, hispanic, an outgoing and a sparkling spontaneous yet interesting personality. Meanwhile I have long, blond hair, green eyes, white, and I'm super shy and quiet. No one would ever suspect that we, of all people are the best of friends.

"Honestly, i didn't even know he existed until my mom mentioned him last night, is he new?"

"Hah! No! He was here last year...or so I've heard.", she adds, picking up an apple and continues to walk through the lunch line,"He's in my ceramics class. Kinda cute too, dont'cha think?"

I grasp my lunch box a little tighter, walking through the lunch line with Sadie is better than having to wait alone at a table, in my opinion.
"Maybe you should go to that party with your mom... i don't know.", She offers, mumbling a 'thank you' to one of the lunch ladies before departing from the line.

"Im still thinking about it."

"Actually, you know what i said before? Scratch that. You should go."