Chapter 32 - The Truth in Red

I didn't slow my stride until I arrived at my favorite gym, the one still under renovations. When I rounded on the boys my eyes were black and my teeth dug into my lips. I didn't even know which one I wanted to hit. They were both so stupid, amplified by being together. Instead of deciding which to go after, I threw a sheet of air at them both, thick and wide, quick as a punch - undodgeable and unavoidable.

It knocked Malachi clean off his feet, clearly not expecting it, not knowing the depth of my Sign's strength. But James must have been able to read my gate, my intentions, or he just knew me more, and was ready. He crossed his arms over his face and loosened his stance, stumbling back a few feet but remained standing. Unlike Malachi, who had blood running from his nose when he righted himself. His eyes narrowed, but for once I didn't feel any fear when he leveled his yellow eyes on me, not even when they turned to shadows.

"You're a fast little Air."

The mocking in his voice, the anger I already had in me, and my Shift all mixed until I felt my second Shift bubbling up. But it wasn't like the other times when I couldn't control it. It felt like a rising wave, but one I could hold onto, ride or subdue. I pushed it down to see if it would listen, and it did, ebbing. Then, I dove for him, wanting to make him pay for whatever influence he had on James. For their stupid plan, for how grating he was, how needling I found him, for his Gift and the emotions he played with. I threw my fists at him, using my Sign to help my speed, but he was just as quick, quicker, dodging and blocking, staying just out of reach.

"What? One knee slips past your defenses and you're scared to fight me?"

"I don't feel like getting zapped, that's all. Unless, this is training and I can hurt you? Do I have your permission?"

He quirked an eyebrow up in question. A wicked grin appearing along with a sliver of razored teeth peeking from behind his lips. I tried to use his response time to sweep his legs, but he skipped back out of reach again, like his feet didn't even need to touch the floor.

"Fine. This is training. Have at me." I growled back, tired of swiping at air.

And then he was before me in a flash, faster than anything should be able to move. But I saw his intentions, finally saw his patterns, and blocked his quick grab for my throat, twisting his hand downward, making him hiss as he pulled back. Apparently he didn't like his hands being restrained or injured. And though his small retreat made my pointed teeth show in a self-satisfied smile, it wasn't near enough as the rest of my blows were still met by nothing but empty space as he danced out of reach each time.

My anger flared again, my Red Shift with it, and whether it was my injured pride at not being able to touch him or curiosity of what I could do in my second Shift when I controlled it, I pulled it over me. I wanted to be better matched to Malachi, wanted to be able to hit him, to make him afraid of me for once. My second Shift washed my vision in red and made a new power surge through me, one that needed blood to sate it. And then I wasn't the one throwing missed punches and being blocked, I was landing them, and able to avoid most of his, or mitigate them.

My dance with Malachi was deadly, and my red vision made the violence even more beautiful. The renovations and their obstacles were to my advantage, as I knew every brick, chain, and board like we were in my own room. Malachi noticed and gave me more space, keeping our dance looser, further apart, so I couldn't use the tools around me as easily. He was a smart fighter, observant, and adapted quickly, I'd give him that.

The red in my vision begged for its match, and the blood on Malachi's face from my initial hit made me slip further and further under, more and more control being given to the dance, the trance. Soon, I couldn't have stopped even if I wanted to, but I didn't want to, not ever.