Chapter 1

My booted feet hit the ground, ducking low as the helicopter blades whirled overhead and moving myself away from the aerodynamic craft. The landing zone was cleared of any trees, far enough away from the research lab that the noise wouldn't startle any of the inhabitants of the island. With the whir of the propeller blades droning lower, the pilot and my co-worker began to unfasten the cargo from the underbelly of the helicopter, a few large bags that were stuffed with clothes, survival gear, supplies, and anything else that we could ever need to stay alive on this remote island.

"All clear!" The pilot called as the last bit of cargo cleared the circumference of the propeller.

"Sounds good!" My co-worker responded, shouldering half of the bags while I gathered my things and settled them on my back, "The other team should be here in an hour or so."

"Thanks for the ride, Jeff!" I gave a high wave as the pilot climbed back into the cockpit, returning the gesture with a small wave as the door closed. Turning to my co-worker with a nod, we began to head towards the jungle where the research lab was with me in the lead and her following behind. The underbrush was thicker than the papers had described, but nothing really seemed out of place as we made the half-hour long hike towards the side of the mountain range.

The island was remote to civilization and, since some new species had been found here, the science field deemed it necessary to set up a research lab to find and catalogue every other creature that could be found. It was like a garden untouched by humanity, and I couldn't wait to get started. Armed with my Masters of Science in Biological Sciences (with a focus on herpetology) and my co-worker's experience and education in botany, we were tasked to cover a lot of ground during our visit, both figuratively and literally.

I glanced behind me to see my co-worker still following, her eyes darting between her feet and the space above her. Her brown hair was tied back into a tight braid, pinned completely down so not even a stray hair stood up. If I saw her in civilian clothes, I would've never pinned her for a botanist.

Erika was a toned woman, a lightweight lifter that loved the outdoors and every outdoor activity known to mankind. Her olive skin was darkened by months of being outside but she wore the tan very well. The dark brown eyes took in every detail they could, a knowing look settling behind her hues as we moved further into the jungle biome.

I couldn't help but smile as I looked ahead of me, seeing the jungle start to thin out a little. When the camouflaged walls of the temporary lab could partially be seen through the trees, a small sense of relief washed over me before reality set back in.

This temporary lab would be my home for the next six months.

"Oh, you're here."

A male voice called out from behind us as we moved towards the lab, turning to see someone in heavy clothes, a backpack slung over his shoulder with a large camera hanging around his neck.

"Did you lose track of time again, Peter?" Erika laughed a little, resting a hand on her hip as the man scurried past us and opened the zippered lab door.

"There was an interesting bloom, and I wanted to get as many details as I could for you," He dipped his head while holding the thick door open for us.

"I appreciate it, but you could've just told me the coordinates and I would've taken care of everything else," She took off her baggage and stretched before looking around the entrance area, "Is Karl deeper in?"

"Yeah, he should be in the specimen lab."

I was left to my own devices, looking around the area and taking in the details as I came across them.