Chapter 12: Down With One And Eleven

CLOVE'S POV:

A day has now passed since we lost Glimmer, let Katniss escape, and half-killed Peeta. When he didn't show up in the sky that night, I began to have my doubts about Cato's "clean job."

I'm still uncertain when we wake up this morning and we still haven't heard a cannon. "Cato," I say finally, "why don't you go back and finish him off?"

"Eh, unnecessary," he says, although I can hear the doubt in his voice. He just won't admit defeat. 

We spend the day cleaning out the Cornucopia of all its junk. In some of the larger crates, I find tents, which we set up in the field near the lake. With Cato and Marvel's help, I pile the crates and boxes and other backpacks and food supplies in a huge mountain of junk. Some of the other tributes could have had the chance to steal more loot over the past couple days while we were roaming the woods, but I guess not very many of them did, because the Cornucopia still abounds with stuff.

We set it up as our base camp. Cato and Marvel and I split up and scavenge the nearby outskirts of the woods for tributes, but we don't find anyone. The afternoon comes hotter and the sun is more sweltering than it has been, and since there's so little activity, we relax under our tent.

"Clove." I turn and see Cato sitting cross-legged beside one of the tent poles. 

A shiver runs through me like a jerk of electricity. "Yes?"

"I'm sorry about Glimmer." So he's finally apologizing. I'm still kind of mad about his act which I truly believed was genuine betrayal, but part of me is so glad to have him back that I can't afford to be angry at him anymore.

"That's all right," I say, even though it never really was. Maybe the whole experience was a learning process for both of us.

I check myself. Stop, Clove, stop hoping. You and Cato won't be coming out of here together. We're not looking at a long-term relationship here. Just give up on him!

But part of me doesn't want to give up...

In the end, he'll be your enemy.

I can't deny the structure of the Games. And I can't deny that I signed up to win. But I hadn't known at the time that Cato would volunteer too. I'm almost more upset that he signed up than I felt when I saw him with Glimmer... 

At least I'd have known he'd be safe. 

"Clove," Cato says again, "whatever happens, I'll stay with you, all right? No more fallouts. Please. We can't afford it."

He's right. We can't.

For once, I'm not going to allow myself to worry about the outcome of the Games. I'll probably die. Maybe Cato will too. But death won't break our love. I'll love him until the end and he'll do the same for me.

My fingers find the sapphire ring. Without hesitation, I slip it onto my finger.

Forever.

CATO'S POV:

I'm glad we finally understand each other. It hurt me so badly to play around with Glimmer hoping to win Clove back. I guess it's almost my fault she died. She probably panicked, waiting for me to save her. But I couldn't save them both. I could barely save myself. 

And I made a promise to Clove. I never promised Glimmer anything. 

I lean back against the tent pole and close my eyes, feeling the breeze drift over me. Quiet. Unexpected quiet. The Games are currently inactive. The tributes are lying low.