Boyfriend

Amara

The first day without him seemed easy, but each day it was getting harder for me.

I spent most of my time with Gordon and when I wasn't with him I was in my room scrolling through a phone or reading books. I felt so pressured, felt like I was locked in a cage. I mean, I was locked in a cage.

I hadn't really communicated with any other people in here besides some girls. The others seemed scary and intimidating, just like Ryder, but I wasn't scared of him.

I heard a knock on the door snapping me out of my trance and my gaze snapped up to the door. I always had hope that it could be Ryder, but of course it never was.

"Hello Miss Tanner, I brought your lunch" Mary said with a smile.

Mary was about my age, maybe a year older than me and she was a very sweet shy girl. She was something like a maid here and she always made sure to bring me my meals even though I told her I could do it. I also asked her to call me Amara, but she said it would be "unprofessional".

"Thank you Mary" I smiled at her taking the tray.

"You're welcome. How has your day been miss Tanner?" She asked sweetly folding her hands.

"It's been okay, how about yours?" I asked.

She was always shocked by me asking her about how she is. She never expected it and always avoided talking about it.

I wonder why.

"Good, thank you" She said putting a stray hair of hers behind her ear, "I'll be gone now. Call me if you need anything" She said and rushed to the door.

It seemed like she was always trying to avoid talking about herself. I wasn't sure if something was going on or she just didn't like the attention.

I wanted to be friends with her. She seemed really sweet, but also she always seemed very nervous. She was one of the few girls in this house. I wondered if she was here by her own will or if she was forced. It would be awful if she didn't want to be here.

I made a mental note to talk to him about it when he came back.

She opened the door and bumped on someone, Gordon.

"I-I'm sorry sir, it won't happen again" She said nervously looking at the floor.

"It's okay" He answered staring at her.

Wait, what kind of look is he giving her!? Seems like these two share some secrets.

I grinned thinking about it and sit back leaning against the headboard.

They stayed like that for a few seconds and then my brother walked into the room and she left.

I gave him a smirk. He probably knew I would interrogate him and he sighed rolling his eyes.

"What's got you so happy? Did Ryder call you?" He asked sitting next to me in bed.

The mention of him brought my mood down. As much as I didn't like to admit it, I had missed him too much.

"No" I said fiddling with the edge of my blanket.

"What is it?" He asked.

"What's up with you and Mary?"

He was taken aback.

He shook his head and raised an eyebrow, "Nothing, why?"

"That look you gave her was pretty tense" I smirked.