Captain Of The Year

The tarot reading Aifang got from Huang Jing plagued her mind. She wasn't prepared for the level of accuracy she had received. Figuring out that it was a pastime, done simply for the sake of fun. Nonetheless, the bitter taste of the truth jarred her from the false sense of security she'd plunged herself into. "Consequences" this word resounded through her head, the word she'd learned to tune out, returned to hunt her like a stubborn ghost in pursuit of a new body to possess.
The justice card reversed meant the following, according to Huang Jing's interpretation :
< flashback >
- "the card shows that you're living in denial, you've done something morally wrong, and you're running away from your guilt. You have two choices: you can hide it and hope no one finds out, or you can own up to your mistakes"
- "this is chilling me to the bones, I know I shouldn't be asking, but have you done something illegal, like murder someone?" She threw her head back letting out a guffaw - "no silly, it's not like that"
Huang Jing placed a hand on his heart in sheer relief - "thank god!"
- "as for your love reading, if you're single and looking for love then this card tells you that you have to stick it out a little longer, and not settle for someone you're not completely in love with. This card often shows up when you'll rediscover someone from your past. Someone you had a friendship with or an old flame, and you'll suddenly start to see that person in a whole new light"
< end of flashback >

The first part of the reading had been spot on, however Aifang sincerely hoped that wasn't the case for the love reading. "Old flame" conjured up the memory of someone from her past, she hadn't thought about in ages, long forgotten to her. She had mixed feelings about the thought of him reemerging in her life again. Someone who had meant so much to her over the course of middle school. She pensively threw another dart on the dartboard in the lounge, where she was with her teammates catching a breather pre-practice. Jiale loitered around with a bag of cheese buffs in one hand - "can I have some?" Aifang convinced him with her puppy eyes - "say AHH"
- "AHH" she opened her mouth wide, he popped 5 cheese puffs in her mouth all at once - "chew slowly, little man"
- "want me to feed you too? Little man" Zhuo Zhi appeared by her side with his hands in his pockets, chuckling.
Aifang gestured for him to wait for her witty comeback, while she chewed her cheese puffs. When she swallowed them she retorted
- "go feed your girl friend Liqin, she's too busy with the student body elections to remember to eat, but be careful, she bites" she stuck out her tongue at Zhuo Zhi. She was about to toss another dart when she stopped midway, slapping a hand across her temples - "speaking of which, I was supposed to take her lunch to her in the teachers office, I totally forgot she's going to kill me!!!"
- "wait do you mean she hasn't eaten anything all day??"
- "she must've had some snacks, but that's all" before she even got to finish her sentence, he was heading for the swinging door.
- "wait" she stopped him to ask a nagging question - "do you like Liqin??" She looked him dead in the eyes when she asked this question.
His voice wavered - "I..." He began but didn't get to finish, because Aifang's eyes darted towards a far more interesting figure that walked into the lounge - "CAPTAIN!!" She squealed, scurrying over to greet him, with arms wide open almost hugging him, but then she kept her hands at her sides - "you're back!!"
The others huddled around their captain as well, Zhuo Zhi merely squeezed his shoulder and said a quick - "welcome back" and dashed away.
The others eagerly talked over one another, their questions overlapping - "guys" he raised both hands to get the tumult under control - "thank you for your concern, I've already recovered, I'm assuming by now that practice is over?"
Dayong the vice-captain answered on behalf of them with a warm smile - "yes, everyone practiced diligently while you were away"
- "captain, school is almost out for the day, why are you here? You should've stayed home and rested some more" Aifang directed a gentle reprimand to Siyang.
- "I couldn't help it, I had to check on the team as soon as I could get back on my feet again" he stuffed his hands in his pockets, guilt-ridden at having stepped out of his house when he shouldn't have.
Aifang clicked her tongue - "you're always antsy, we're fine we're not kids"
Aifang jabbed a finger at Qiao Chen who was the closest to the white round table - "Qiao Chen drum rolls please"
He took the notice and drummed his hands on the table, producing a festive cacophony.
- "and the captain of the year award goes to..." The drumming intensified - "MU SIYANG" Aifang announced, her animation incited the others to follow her lead, chanting - "Mu Siyang, Mu Siyang"
Aifang spun around him, tossing imaginary rose petals. She broke into an improvised singing, with a water bottle as her mic - "🎶 because you're the best captain, the very best, a truly one of a kind🎶" the others formed a circle around them, clapping in unison to her singing, starting a mini concert in Siyang's honor.
The sides of Siyang's lips that were pursed, curved up. Soon, he cracked up with laughter, his whole body convulsed as a result, uncovering his rare gummy smile.
- "what is this song?" He had to shout for Aifang to hear him over the sound of the incessant clapping.
She half-shrugged half-laughed - "I don't know, I just made it up"

Upon hearing the raucous noise the boys and Aifang were making, the coach pushed the wooden swinging doors and stepped in. The coach stood there gazing with motherly affection at the boisterous bunch, as they were having the time of their lives. Shaking her head at the silliness of youth. - "coach" Zhiming glimpsed her first. The singing and clapping lulled, as Aifang the instigator, tried to feign an innocent countenance, expecting to receive an earful. But instead a good-natured smile tugged at the coach's face - "don't mind me, carry on, I was just curious about the cause of this noise, but now I can see why"
- "coach, a word please?" Siyang asked.
- "sure, come to my office"
Back in coach Qi's office Siyang was worried about one thing only
- "coach, how did the team behave in my absence?"
The coach covered her mouth, hiding a titter - "they behaved themselves, because Dayong received some help from a resourceful fellow"
- "who?" Siyang's eyes narrowed.
- "Aifang went the extra mile to help Dayong, by telling the boys that if they don't get their practice done in a set time, they'd receive a punishment, he claimed they were your orders"
- "he did that? Well, as long as it kept the team motivated. Say coach, what do you think about Aifang's performance so far?"
- "he has improved tremendously in such a short time, when he first joined us he was afraid of his own shadow, but now he's grown more comfortable in his own skin. He's almost on a par with Lu Xia and Zhuo Zhi, he'll soon catch up to you. I even heard some students calling him the new ace."
- "do you think he's ready to face me?"
- "why not? He's got great potential, I'm sure he can manage"

========================================

I'll try to post another chapter this week, before I have my hands full 😁
Don't forget to vote if you liked it 🤗💖