chapter eighteen

I'd felt incredibly weird ever since I'd woken up, like something bad was going to happen. Sarah came over before lunch to get ready with me, having not spent enough time together the last few weeks.

We used this opportunity to catch up on the latest news. She told me about her relationship with John B., how Ward adopted him and was now living under the same roof as them. It seemed, to me at least, a bit suspicious that Sarah's father would do that, but I didn't question it any more than that. She then told me that she finally felt comfortable enough with a boy to go further than making out. It was my turn to tell her about what Rafe and I did, and how I was incredibly happy with him, even though I tried not to think about all the bad things that were going to drive him insane. I decided it'd be better if I'd leave out the dream I had, keeping it to myself. I later found out about their search for gold, but she made me promise to not tell anyone.

Our families had arranged to eat lunch together at my house, my mother offering to host the small get together.

My mom was the first to greet our guests, letting Sarah and I wait for them in the dining room. As soon as they entered the room, I stood up, rushing to say hi to Ward and Rose. I then high-fived Wheezie, before going to embrace Rafe. He kissed my cheek, while my hand went to caress his jaw as he pulled away.

"Are you okay?" He quietly asked, his eyes searching my face. Of course he saw through my façade, noticing something was off. I nodded, smiling at him.

"Of course, are you?" He also nodded, pulling my hand to follow him to his seat. I sat down on the chair next to him, resting my hand on his thigh as our families started eating. Every once in a while, he'd turn to me, making some remark at what everyone said, and in return I'd try to laugh as quietly as I could.

"What are you doing tonight?" My mother turned to the three of us. I shrugged, getting my fork and pushing the food that was on my plate around. Sarah mumbled something about going with John B. somewhere. I noticed that Rafe tensed at her words, but chose to keep quiet.

"There's a party down by the beach, with kooks and tourons." My boyfriend said, turning to look at me. I didn't make eye contact, knowing that he was going to get high, but I couldn't say anything. It was his life. He pushed his chair to be closer to me, so we could talk easier.

"Don't you want to come with me?" I shook my head slowly. His eyebrows furrowed in concern. "Why not? Is everything alright?" I nodded, smiling warmly at him, not wanting him to worry.

"Yeah, I'm just tired, I woke up early today, you know." I said, knowing that he'd leave the matter once he nodded.

After lunch, the parents went to the living room to continue their conversation. Wheezie and Rafe left to meet some of their other friends, leaving Sarah and I alone to listen to music and dance around my room. She had to leave later that afternoon to meet the Pogues as she said she would.

——

I was watching some show on netflix as I fell asleep. The truth was, I was pretty tired, having had to wake up early in order to help my mom cook and tidy up the house.

——

I struggled to open my eyes as I heard a knock on my window. I turned my head towards the sound, seeing Rafe on the other side. He looked like he did in my dream: rough. I sighed as I stood up, going to open the window and let him in. As he entered my room, I rubbed my eyes, trying to get the sleep out of them.

"I'm sorry for waking you up." He mumbled, rubbing the back of his neck awkwardly. I shrugged, looking at him, studying his features.

"It's fine. Are you okay?" He avoided my gaze, looking anywhere but at me. "Hey, look at me. Rafe."

"I went home after the party. Apparently my dad was waiting for me, and when he found out that I was high, he started yelling and pushing me around." My eyebrows furrowed at his words, looking him over.

"Did he hit you?" He shook his head, finally looking at me.

"No, I didn't stay long enough for him to do so." I nodded, not wanting to ask him about the fact that he got here by motorcycle. While high. Instead, I gestured to the shower.

"Go take a shower before you come to bed." I said as I went to get him a towel. When I returned, entering the bathroom, I found him smirking. I raised my eyebrow in question.

"Do you want to join me?" I sighed, not in the mood to entertain him.

"You're high, Rafe. I'll wait for you in my room." I said, before closing the door after me.

I laid down once more on my bed, watching the way the shadows moved with every car that went by my house. Soon after, Rafe came out of the bathroom, looking a little fresher than before.

"Better?" He asked me sarcastically. I smiled, nodding.

"Better." I scooted away from the edge of the bed, making room for him. He wrapped his arms around my waist, pulling me close to him. His lips rested against my temple, moving slightly as he apologized once more.

"I'm sorry I woke you up. And I'm sorry I came over uninvited, but I didn't know where else to go." He whispered the last part, not finding it in himself to try to say those words loud and clear. I nodded, moving my hand to the back of his head to thread my fingers through his hair.

No one said anything after that, we kept quiet as we found peace in each other's embrace. I tried to ignore the way my chest felt heavier than normal, being certain that I'd have to address the drug addiction Rafe was burying himself under. But for now, we fell asleep, careless of the world around us, only listening to the sound of our beating hearts.

Author's Note: Hello!! This was kind of a filler chapter, but I hope you enjoyed it!! I'm slowly trying to get into the drama!