Adjusting

A/N - Q&A time bbys!!!

Alexander's POV

   I couldn't sleep. I haven't been able to sleep alone for awhile. I wanted to ask John to come over but it was midnight and he had a game tomorrow. So instead I'm hugging a pillow, pretending he's here, and desperately trying to fall asleep. It's not working. I whined and sat up. I grabbed my stuffed lion and trudged to James and Evelyn's room. I poked my head in the door and James stirred at the sound of the door. "Jamie?" I whispered, James sat up a bit and Evelyn rolled over, rubbing her eyes. 
   "Alex? What's wrong? Did you have a nightmare?" 
   "No...I can't sleep." 
   "The pillow thing isn't helping?" I shook my head and he smiled.
   "'Pillow thing'?" Evelyn asked groggily. 
   "Alex can't sleep without someone else." James explained.
   "Oh. Well...Come here, honey." Evelyn beckoned me over and I crawled into the bed. James and Evelyn sandwiched me between them and I smiled. I hate sleeping alone because I feel vulnerable but now I feel safe. Really, really safe. Like when I'm with John. I closed my eyes and fell asleep. 

   I woke up to two people bustling around the room and sat up. "What's going on?" I asked groggily.
   "Getting ready for work." James hummed. 
   "Oh." I fell back into the bed and rolled up in the blankets. 
   "John's gonna be here in twenty minutes to pick you up for school."
   "Ok." I mumbled, sitting up again and rubbing my eyes. 
   "We to go. Bye, Lion." John kissed the top of my head and grabbed his briefcase. 
   "Bye, Alex." Evelyn hugged me and they were off. I hopped to my room and started getting dressed. I heard the doorbell ring and I hobbled to the door and opened it. John swept me off my feet into a kiss and I giggled. 
   "Well, hello to you too." 
   "Sleep well?" He asked.
   "Sort of." 
   "Pillow thing didn't work?" I shook my head and he smiled. "Well, I have coffee in the car-" 
   "Let me get my bag." I grinned, running to my room and grabbing my before hurrying back to John. 
   "Ready?"
   "Yeah. Let's go." We entwined our fingers and headed off the his truck.