Thirteen

"And he had the audacity to ridicule how I look. I mean have you seen that...that over grown man child. He looks like a rotten zebra or something." I angrily blurt out.

I had stormed up to the attic to confront the striped man as I needed to get the last word but Barb saw how angry I was and asked what happened.

"Oo that demon really gets under my skin." She commented.

I plopped down on the couch and sighed. I raked my hands down my face, shifting uncomfortably.

"Don't mind him kiddo." The male of the group spoke up.

"I can't help it. I came here for a new start, not to be tormented again. I mean daddy and that women he married after mom did that enough." I admit.
I was self conscious enough about how I looked so comments like that always threw me off.

"Oh honey." Barbara sympathised coming to sit next to me and calmly stroked through my hair, starting at my hairline and gently pulling her hand back through my white abomination.
The calmness radiating from her petite body was enough to settle me for a little.

I relaxed into her touch and shut my eyes intending to open them again until I felt Barb leave a soft kiss on my head thinking I was asleep and begin talking to her husband.

"Oh Adam, this isn't right she can't be living like this. Alone in a haunted house, especially with him loose. She needs to go out make friends and live her life not cooped up in this old house." She says sadly.
I know what she's thinking and fuck it's scary but she's right. Of course she's right she's Barbara.

I inwardly sighed at the thought of losing them.
"I know Barb...but she seems content right now." The kind brunette male said, agreeing with his wife but his voice dripped with uncertainty.

"Adam, you know she can't stay. Remember what my sister used to say. "If you truly love someone you'll do what's best for them no matter how hard it might be." We have to give her, her best chance and unfortunately I don't think it's here with us." Barbara explained. It brought tears to my eyes hearing her quote my beloved mother.

I opened my eyes quickly and turned away from the pair so they wouldn't see my tears. I didn't want them knowing I heard their discussion as it was a private one.

"Honey? Are you alright?" Barbara asked in surprise at my sudden awakening.

I bobbed my head quickly, strands falling out everywhere.
"I'm actually not feeling too well, I'm gonna go get some air." I mumbled trying to swallow the heavy lump in my throat.

"Oh alright." The honey blonde women replied, worry and concern swept over her features.

"Don't worry I'm fine." I lie offering a soft smile. I headed to the roof as it was closer than the porch.
I knew all to well that the striped dead man would most likely be moping around up here. However I didn't care, my mind was in other places.

"They can't do this to me. First I lose mom and dad and now them. I don't even have Lydia or Stripes. What did I do to deserve this!?!" I wondered aloud and frustrated, speaking to no one but myself.

"What are ya blabberin on about and why are ya bringin me into it!" The husky voice of the spirit I wanted to see the least right now asked with a scowl, clearly annoyed I had invited myself to his thinking space.

"None of your business!" I snap at him with an unimpressed scowl of my own.

"Calm down women, and feel lucky I even asked." The ghost retorted, taking a bite out of a.....zagnut bar? What is that? I shook off my thought at it wasn't important.