Chapter 3: A Familiar Stranger

She woke up slowly and hazily. She tried to get a grip on her senses, but her sight was blurry and she felt numb all over. As soon as she came to, she looked around, amazed. She was in a large room, on a circular metal platform, and in the middle there was a big round table with several buttons, lights, levers and nozzles.

She looked down at herself. Someone had put a blanket on her and pillow under her head. She stood up cautiously, and she realized she wasn't alone. Across the room there stood a man. Old, by the look of it, with curly grey hair and wrinkles etched into his skin. He was wearing a black tux jacket with red satin lining, like a composer of an orchestra. And he was staring at her like she was a bomb.

Doctor's P.O.V.

A few hours after she appeared in my TARDIS, the girl came to. She looked a little ill and distant at first, but then she started looking around. She seemed more curious than scared, which intrigued me. She turned around and saw me. Her eyes, a brilliant green, widened. I wasn't sure what to do, and it seemed she felt likewise. But to my surprise, she started to cry. She ran over to me and wrapped her arms around me.

In all my uncertainty, the only thing I could think to do was to embrace her back, trying to comfort her. After a few seconds, which was a rather long hug in my opinion, she pulled away. She wiped under her eyes and straightened her hair, attempting to compose herself.

"I'm sorry," she said,"that was stupid of me."

"It's fine," I responded, "but if you don't mind me asking, who are you?"

Girl's P.O.V.

I couldn't believe it. He didn't know who I was. He had hugged me back so I just assumed... I could feel my stomach drop. How long had it been since we last met? I didn't feel that long to me, but it might have been an eternity for him. Maybe his mind just needed a little push, maybe then he would remember.

Perhaps, though, it was best not to go forward with the matter, maybe he would recognize me as soon as he got to know me. He did look different than the last time I'd seen him, he must have regenerated. But how many times? I was thinking of telling him everything, right then and there, but what if he couldn't remember? He'd think I was mad.

I just responded, "I don't know sir, everything is just kind of a blur." I hoped I was a good enough actress that he bought it. To my relief, he nodded his head, accepting my alibi.

Doctor's P.O.V.

Even though I was certain I had not met the girl before, and it seemed that she didn't know me either, she still looked familiar to me. A familiar stranger. That just showed up in my TARDIS in a blinding flash of light? Not likely. There had to be some connection, I was missing something huge and obvious, so big that it was stupid of me to not put two and two together. But try as I may, I couldn't recall where I had last seen her.
Maybe some questioning was in order.

"Do you remember your name?" I asked her. She seemed a little nervous of the question being asked, but who could blame her? She had just showed up in a weird room with a weird man who was now asking her for her name. Or maybe it was something more than that.

After a moments hesitation, she answered. "My name is Corriander," she said, "Corriander Wilks." I asked her if she remembered where she lived.
"I can't remember, sir, I'm sorry." I could tell she was being careful about selecting her answers, but then again, weird man, weird room, weird questions.

"Well then Corriander, it seems that you'll just have to travel with me for a bit until you remember where you live. And then I'll take you home," I announced.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Hey guys I'm sorry for switching out 11 for 12. I just thought it would be weird for the girl to look the same age as the Doctor and you'll find out next chapter! No spoilers!