Chapter 14

Adora's POV

The day after Catra had told me to leave, I had hung out with Antonio. It wasn't generally bad, mostly awkward, until the end of the day when he asked to take me home.

*flashback*

"Hey, can I take you home?" I heard Antonio asked looking at me as we sat on the bench together watching the kids play at the park.

I scratched the back of my head, contemplating my answer. 

"Sure?" I hesitated.

He smiled and got up, dragging his hand out of his pockets to hold out to me. I faked a smile and gently placed it in his hand which he held tightly.

He then dragged me up and just kept it in his hand longer than I had wanted it, but I decided not to say anything. I walked with his hand in mine to the car, he then opened the door for me to get in.

"Thanks" I mumbled slowly getting into the front passenger seat, he then followed by sitting in the driver's seat.

The car ride was uncomfortable for me, this hangout was awkward in general but it wasn't too bad. We talked about our interests and our friend group, I mainly talked about Glimmer and Bow. And..briefly about Catra. He did ask if Catra and I were close, which I didn't know how to answer very well, so I just gave a shrug.

I rested my chin on my arm and looked out the window, watching the trees passing by. I recognized the familiar path and smiled knowing that I can finally head home from this awkward hangout. I eventually was met with my neighborhood and pointed to my house for him to stop at.

The car stopped and I quickly grabbed my bag and waited for him to unlock the car, which didn't open right away. I looked over at him confused, to see a flushed face with his hands rubbing against each other nervously.

"What is it?" I asked curiously

I looked at him waiting for a response, except I didn't get one. I didn't realize it right away, but his lips were on mine for only a couple seconds before I decided to push him away, maybe a bit too hard.

I put my hand over my lips and looked at him with pure horror, "W-What the fuck?!" 

He was taken aback and tilted his head confused, "Wasn't this a date? I'm sorry! Maybe, I made the move to fast, I'm very sorry"

I huffed and pinched my nose furiously trying to collect the words that were swarming in my head, but the only thing that I could think of was...

Catra

What would she think of this? What would she think of me...but we're not together? She knows I rejected her, maybe she doesn't have to know about this.

"It's fine. This wasn't...ugh, this wasn't supposed to be a date. It was supposed to be a hangout, you said. Friends?" I reminded him of his own words.

"Is this because o- of...that girl Catra? Are you rejecting me because of her?" He said ignoring that last part of what I said.

I held my breath, was it because of Catra? Am...Am I holding back my feelings of trying to like him because of Catra? I know...that I still like her, I know that I want to be with her, but it just won't work.

"No, It's not" I lied, "Listen, as long as you don't tell anyone about today like I mean the kiss. Then I will go to prom with you, that's all. I promise you, I won't change my mind"

He listened to my compromise and nodded, "But we can't date?"

"No, I'm not ready for that yet" I lied once again.