Chapter 30 - Forgive, Forget, & Sweet Revenge

The conversation between Chi and James was short, though they paused and looked over when Malachi started gasping and sputtering after his unfortunate collision with my knee. I smiled sweetly at them and James smirked, Chi looked less entertained. Within a minute James was walking back toward Ailech and I, Malachi had retreated to the opposite side of the rolling doors. James made his way to us slowly, stepping over or around the bodies of his victims, but I was more interested in watching Chi and her Clan behind him. They were packing, though Horn and Halo kept throwing glances my way.

"They'll come with us. We're leaving as soon as they are ready. Do I want to know?" He nodded toward Malachi, and I shrugged in answer.

"He called me pretty," I said nonchalantly, feeling much more myself, much less afraid or impressed or drawn to Malachi as he sulked in the doorway.

James chuckled, but it was halfhearted. "You really shouldn't let him get under your skin. It's a talent of his...actually, it's more one of his Gifts."

"I'm sorry, are you saying his Heaven-given Gift is to be annoying?" Both my voice and my face said I clearly didn't believe that.

"No, well maybe. One of his powers is to push emotions onto others, manipulate them. He can pull feelings like air around someone if they are susceptible. I can change what people see, but he can change what they feel. He used to use it to make people afraid or to manipulate a situation to his advantage. Now, it seems he uses it to amuse himself and annoy you. You can do what you like, but just know, it's all a game to him. And you're letting him play. Staying calm is the only way to truly upset him."

"Well, I certainly found a second way," I said flatly. "Any other Gifts I should know about?"

"His Sight is weak...or it was the last time I knew him, maybe it isn't now. He could feel this attack closing in, so I guess his senses might be deeper now. He's a Fire Sign, less connected than me but he makes up for it with his...creativity. He likes games, music, has a soft spot for children and animals-"

"I didn't ask for his dating profile, I asked for his Gifts and abilities." I snapped at James, though I knew I shouldn't be taking my frustrations out on him. I just hated not understanding all my contradictory emotions surrounding Malachi.

"I'm just trying to give you an accurate picture. He never had some of the more...sadistic tendencies I did. He can manipulate emotions, and he's actually a decent healer for a Fire. But beyond those Gifts...he's quiet, sneaky? And fast, very fast. I always likened him to a cat growing up because of his eyes, his stealth, and his speed. Unless I used my Sight, he could usually sneak up on me. And as you've seen, he's faster than me, or you. But he doesn't have visions or prophecies, he can't read minds or push them. Just emotions, both with his Gift and just with how he is, with his words.

He knows how to read and manipulate people exceptionally well, even without his Gift. Maybe he can push memories now too if the person is open to it like he did with you in the woods. It's been almost fifteen years though, so I guess I don't know what all has changed, what all he can do. And I doubt he'll tell us. Just keep his Gifts in mind and watch out for the ones you know. He can't be trusted." James finished quietly, sounding defeated like he was saying it more to remind himself than me.

"I've felt him pushing emotions on me before, I think. Definitely the memories. Sometimes it's like he scares me, and sometimes the opposite. Sometimes I feel a draw to him like I did with the Collector in the beginning. And I already know I can't trust him, he's evil."

I rushed the last sentence, trying to get as far from my admission about the strange connection as possible. James raised an eyebrow but let the subject drop, focusing elsewhere instead.