Geralt: Sober

Geralt X Female Reader

Summary: Geralt can't help but feel a pang of jealously whenever you and Jaskier get close. This evening, you tell him that he has no reason to worry.

Word Count: 2300

This wasn't an uncommon occurrence these days, sitting in a tavern and watching you and Jaskier talk and joke. It was tiresome, bothering Geralt in a way that he wasn't quite comfortable explaining or completely thinking about.

The three of you had returned to the little town after completing a contract. You had collected your reward and Geralt went to the inn to bath, ridding himself of monster guts, while you and Jasker agreed to meet him in the tavern afterwards.

After bathing, Geralt crossed the road and pushed opened the door of the tavern. He was used to the way voices lowered and gazes dropped when he entered a room, it didn't bother him. The less people interacting with him, the better. The spotted the two of you almost instantly, both of you already a few drinks in and laughing at a table in the corner.

Geralt headed to the bar, purchasing an ale before approaching the table you were sitting at.

"Geralt! You took your time. Though I can't imagine it's an easy task washing all that gore from your hair" Jaskier commented, the two of you looking up the Witcher approached you both.

"But you're here now and that's what matters" you gave him a smile as he sat down opposite the two of you.

"Hmm" Geralt just nodded, his short response making you smile a little to yourself. It could be strangely endearing at times.

"Ah! Such a profound response, I do love when you bless us with your thoughts" Jaskier jested fondly.

"Oh ignore him...and cheer up. We have some extra coin, that's something to smile about" you reminded him, waving at Jaskier to playfully dismiss him.

"We won't if you keep on the drinks" Geralt hummed.

"Loosen up. We won't spend that much, we'll have enough left over" Jaskier assured him, but Geralt didn't seem convinced.

"Plus, we all deserve to treat ourselves. Especially you, monster-slayer" you attempted to convince him.

"Exactly. I earn the coin and you both spend it" Geralt commented. To anyone else it would appear that he was annoyed but both you and Jaskier knew that he was only joking.

"But you'd have it no other way" you winked.

The corner of Geralt's mouth tugged upwards but nobody that wasn't you or Jaskier would have even noticed, you both just knew him so well now and were able to notice the small things.

You lifted your drink up to your lips, only to find it empty. "Oh..." you frowned, looking into the empty tankard.

"Drink. You need more drink!" Jaskier told you, finding his own tankard empty as well. "To the bar!" he announced and you laughed as you both stood from the table.

Geralt watched, nose subtly scrunching up in distaste, as Jaskier placed his hand on the bottom of your back to guide you through the tavern. He didn't even notice how his grip on his own tankard tightened a he watched Jaskier lean towards you to speak in your ear, as you lent against the bar and waited for your drinks.

It was not the first time that Geralt had found himself beyond irritated by Jaskier's proximity to you.

The two of you were always chatting away about one thing or another, though Geralt couldn't really be mad about it since he took the role of the more silent companion. If he wanted you to speak with him more, he should have made more of an effort, he was aware of that.