Chapter 2

"You've got no soul?" Patton repeated, dumb-founded. Logan nodded.

"No soul. It means no satisfaction with anything, no happiness, no heartbreak, no love, no emotions. Just bitterness and emptiness." Logan said bitterly. Silence fell over the two, Patton processing what he had been told and Logan letting the information sink in.

"What, what happens when you die?" Patton asked quietly, afraid of the answer.

"Sea foam. We just disappear." Logan said, smiling sadly and flicking his tail.

"Do you ever miss it?"

"What? Having emotions?" Patton nodded. "No. It's nice to be numb, to not feel anything."

Patton nodded, knowing the merman was lying. "What about you? Do you miss being on land?"

"I... I don't know." Patton muttered, his brow furrowing with thought. "I guess I never really think about my old life."

Logan nodded, twisting around in the tank, his markings and tail catching in the light that filtered through the boards of the deck. Patton thought that Logan looked... beautiful. He mentally shook himself. Logan was an unfeeling, soulless monster with a taste for human flesh. Logan would probably kill Patton if there wasn't glass separating them.

"Do you eat anything else? Apart from humans?"

"Yes. We eat fish most of the time. Why do you want to know?"

"Captain wants you alive. So he can harvest your tears or whatever."

Patton didn't know why he was being so honest with this merman. He just felt a sort of connection to him. Like they had met before.

"Logan?" Patton asked. "Do you remember your life? Before you became a merman, I mean?"

"Not really. Only flashes. The sunlight, laughter, a skipping rope, a best friend." Logan smiled fondly at the memories before returning to his usual, emotionless self. "But nothing solid."

"Oh. Okay."

"Is there any particular reason you wish to know about childhood, Patton?" Logan asked curiously.

"No. Just curious I guess."

"Very well."

"Patton!" Virgil yelled down. "You're wanted up on deck!"

Patton looked at Logan, as if he was trying to decide what to do. Eventually, he just got up and left. Logan sighed. He didn't have a soul so he couldn't feel sad but he did feel a slight pull in his chest at seeing Patton leave. He ignored it and twisted around in the tank again. He was getting bored.

"Yeah Virge? What's up?" Patton asked, running up the stairs to the deck.

"Why were you spending so much time down there?!" Virgil yelled, grabbing Patton by the shoulders and shaking him. "Did it not cross your mind that the rest of us could've thought that you had died?!"

"Virgil, stop shaking me." Patton said, his glasses falling down his nose. Virgil put him down. "I didn't realise that I was spending so much time in the brig. Sorry. Are you alright?"

"Yeah, I'm fine. Why?"

"That merman. He seemed to have a good hold on you..." Patton trailed off at the look on Virgil's face.

"I'm fine, Patton. I just had a scare, that's all." Virgil muttered.

"So, what did the Captain need me for?"

"Hm? Oh, he didn't need you for anything. I just wanted to make sure you were still alive."

Patton rolled his eyes affectionately and smiled. "Thanks kiddo. But you don't need to worry about me. The only life I know is that of a pirate. I'll be careful."

Virgil smile was full of relief. "Did you learn anything about Logan?"

Patton rubbed the back of his neck and shrugged. "I learnt that no matter how hard Janus tries, he's not going to get a tear out of Logan."

"Why? Is he stubborn or something?"

"No. More like emotionless."

"Emotionless?"

Patton smiled and shrugged. "That must be horrid."

"I don't think we should feel sorry for him, though." Patton said. "He doesn't seem all that nice."

Virgil opened his mouth to protest but shrugged and didn't say anything.

"Virgil, Patton, while it's a nice day to stand around and chat," Janus yelled, "I suggest you get back to work! We set sail for Lybax tomorrow!"

Night time was always peaceful for Logan. It was a time to splash about in the ocean without fear of being captured and it was a time to sing without fear of accidentally killing someone. Or at least, it had been. Now, he was locked up in a glass prison, unable to swim more than 2 metres. He had to curl up into a ball, his tail touching his chest, to avoid bumping into the walls of the tank. This was no way to live.

The tank was cramped and the crew were horrid and uncivil. Most of them, at least. That Patton seemed kind. Logan felt a pull towards him that he couldn't explain. Patton made Logan feel like he almost had a soul again. Logan quickly rid his head of that thought. Patton despised him and the feeling should be mutual. He should hate Patton but he didn't. Maybe it was because Patton had stopped him from accidently strangling himself but Logan felt a pull towards Patton and an ache in his chest when Patton left him alone. Logan looked at his markings which were a tell-tail sign of when someone who would care about you forever was near. Right now, they were dark and dull but when he was talking to Patton, they had shone. Logan shook his head. He needed to get rid of these irrational thoughts. Patton wasn't his childhood friend, whatever in God their name was. There was someone who had cared about him. Not Patton.