Chapter Nine

That night in Lockwest Forest, the moon was shining through a lattice of leaves, displaying a patchy sky and stars in glimpses through tree breaks. The tall shadowed pines were stretching up like arrows into the sky, and the voice of the crickets was the most dominant sound that could be heard throughout the forest... until the sound of shattered glass broke through the crickets' choir...

The sound came from the cabin, and one of the looters had been flung through one of the front windows, his body smashing through the glass. On his journey out the window, he flew back a good distance from it, his back landing on one of the dark tree trunks. He then slid onto the ground and became motionless.

One of the other looters swore out loud from inside the cabin, but only to be flung through the broken window too, then ending up unconscious, like a crumpled heap outside on the ground like his friend.

The third and final guy had turned around in fear, like he had just seen a demon, then ran outside, trying to get as far away from River as he could.

River easily caught up to him though, his super speed nearly making him look like a blur. The minute he reached the guy, he grabbed hold of him, then narrowed his eyes and shoved him hard. The guy cried out as he flew incredibly far into the distance, landing face down on the picnic table outside the cabin.

"Sh-shit!" he groaned, spitting out some blood and feeling a sudden severe pain in his lower back, as he tried to shift his legs over to the side of the table to escape.

But River wasn't going to let them escape. He had no mercy for them whatsoever. They thought they could just take the cabin from him that easily, a bunch of sad COWARDS coming in packs as usual, he thought.

River wanted to let them know that they picked on the wrong guy. They were going to pay for that mistake... with their lives!

He lifted himself up high into the air, his body jumping over a wide gap between where he had been standing and the picnic table, then his feet landed on top of the table.

Ignoring the pleas from the now terrified looter, River picked the trembling man up with one hand, then held him up high, so River was looking up at him, and the man's feet was dangling in the air.

"Wh-what... are you?" the man cried out, fear etched all over his face.

"The wrong person to mess with", River replied in a menacing tone, through clenched teeth.

"Please man I'm s-sorry", he begged him, looking down at him with pleading eyes. "I-I have a wife and dau-"

River cut off his sentence by laughing, like he had seriously heard the funniest joke, then said,

"You think I care??"

The guy was then thrown far towards the back of the cabin.

River hopped off the table with a smirk on his face, then he strut over to the man groaning on the ground in front of him.

Looking down at the helpless man who looked like he had given up, like realizing that the situation was totally forlorn, and was laying there groaning continuously, River noticed tears spill down the man's face. He folded his arms, then said to the man in a condescending tone,
"This was a bad night for you and your friends buddy. Your other two sidekicks are unconscious, and here you are you pathetic excuse for a man, wriggling in pain and begging for your life."

River bent down near him, his hate and bitterness overpowering any bit of mercy for the injured man lying on his back on the hard ground.

"Pl-please j-just...leave me alone man. I-I beg you...pl-please."