IX - Anthea

She was starting to feel uncomfortable with his eyes resting on her so intently. She didn't dare look at him and then again, she couldn't help looking at him. His eyes held surprise and regret in them, surprisingly. She didn't know how to feel about that, as it made her heart flutter and butterflies fly around her stomach. She clasped her hands together, rubbing the spot he was touching earlier as she listened to him chuckle a bit. She hadn't heard that one before. He didn't usually laugh or even chuckle. He was always serious to the point that she almost believed him to be uncapable of laughing, and then there was the opposite where he used his dark humour to make her laugh. It seemed that she had come to a stalemate about him. She didn't know enough about him to know what was going on. And she probably won't even have a chance to do so.

She noticed him looking away with chagrin and shame on his face and wondered what he was thinking about. But then again, she never knew what he was thinking about, unless it was about Evans. She felt her fingers clench at the sudden jelaousy and she stared at them in surprise. Sure, she was jelaous, but she didn't really act like it most of the time. It seemed as if just being with Severus made her more... inept of hiding her feelings. Her musings were interrupted with Severus saying,

"You know, no one has said anything.. I mean, no one knows I like her, I don't think. I don't talk about her, I can't, god could you imagine Lucius. I mean, he'd murder me. The only one who knows is.."

She had to turn back to him as he said that. Did he really think no one noticed? He did, she realized with surprise. Well, there weren't many that noticed - it was mostly just her and a few other girls in the house that were interested in him. He was an interesting character and she felt her jelaousy grip her heart again when she heard him say that he liked her - that he said it so plainly, when he never spoke about his feelings before. He really must be sure about liking her, if he's willing to tell it to her with such determination.

"Potter."

That one word was said in such a dark and hateful voice that she had to look away again, but not before they interlocked their eyes again. It seemed to her as if the time had stopped. She barely noticed him fiddling with his jeans, she was too lost in his dark gaze. There was something in them that told her that he realized something, and had to fight the urge to blush - to no avail. She wasn't sure why he was looking at her like that and she felt like she wanted to know dearly. She gripped her hands tighter and pulled them up to her chest, watching him apprehensively.

"Why are you watching me like that?" she asked him hesitantly, her heart beating so hard that she was sure he could hear it from a mile away. She fought the urge to squirm, but didn't have the power to look away from his eyes. It was so easy to just get lost in them.