XLIV

The snow billowed greatly as huge gusts of wind ferociously swept through the mountain caps without any intention of stopping. In all directions, there was but a canvas of white. Even the large pine trees were but a mere dot as it was blanketed by a thick sheet of white. Large flakes of snow slapped in their faces and despite the coldness, they felt perfectly comfortable under the protection of their barrier. 

"I've noticed this before but you really do like snow, don't you, Lucy?" Kaede trekked 

"Well, I guess so," Lucy held a distant gaze. "No matter how dirty something is, everything is the same under its white blanket. Untainted and pure, bringing eternal sleep to all." 

Kaede stared at her.

"It's not just snow," she smiled softly. "I like anything scenic because it's proof of how beautiful the world is." 

Kaede smiled softly. That was just like her. 

"Let's hurry up," she turned to him and beamed. "The blizzard seems like it'll be clearing up soon. We need to be there before it stops snowing!" 

Kaede grinned. "As you wish, my mistress." 

Picking her up into his arms, he quickened their pace and swiftly made their way through the snowy terrain, maneuvering past numerous boulders and trees. There was still a long way to go but judging from the pace they were going at, they were sure to reach the peak before it completely stopped.

"By the way, was it fine to come alone?" Kaede asked.

"I asked Scheherazade-sama if she wished to come but it seems like spring is a pretty busy season no matter the country," Lucy chuckled. "She was really regretful about not being able to come." 

"Ahh," a bead of sweat rolled down his face, remembering Scheherazade's puffed-up face as she held back her tears of frustration. "No wonder she looked like a chipmunk when she saw you off."  

"Hm?" Lucy looked at him in question.

"Nothing," he smiled. "Then what about Sebas? It's rare to see him part from you." 

"He went with Myron, Lo'lo' and the others," Lucy said. "He said he wished to take a look at the Academy since they're quite known for their diverse departments." 

"It is true that the Academy in the Reim Empire is the center of all knowledge and talent," Kaede remarked. "It's practically the gathering spot of the world's geniuses, each hailing from different countries. After their studies there, they go back to their homeland and using the knowledge they've gained, steer their country to a better future."

"If I remember correctly, many of the ministers and officials from the Kou Empire have also attended the Academy, right?" 

"The Reim Empire and Kou Empire have a long relationship, after all," Kaede answered. "Many of those officials are stationed in diplomatic relations since at the Academy, there are many relationships to be made." 

"Hmmm," Lucy said.

It was no wonder how many of them were so close to the delegates from other countries at the banquet. They had been old friends. Just as she was deep in thought, staring blankly as she was carried by Kaede, she noticed something at the corner of her eyes.

"Stop!" she yelled.

Surprised, Kaede immediately stopped dead in his tracks and stared at her, wondering what had happened. "Lucy?" 

Noticing the direction she was staring in, Kaede turned his head only to have Lucy jump down from his arms. He raised an eyebrow but silently followed her through the raging blizzard. She continued walking and as they neared closer to what she had seen, it was then that Kaede noticed its presence.