Chapter 6

"No Lydia, you have to focus harder!"

"I'm trying!"

That night, Renay helps me control my powers. After finally realizing that I really did need Renay's help, I accepted her help, and she stood opposite of me, showing me what to do.

Renay demonstrates again.

"You have to want to be able to use your powers," she says mystically. "Focus all your energy into the task of controlling your magic!"

I clear my mind of any thoughts, so I can focus better, as Renay told me to. Closing my eyes, I cup my hands in front of me. I take a deep breath, and focus. Cupcake! I want a cupcake!

I open my eyes, and gasp. A chocolate cupcakes lies in my hands.

"Is that what you wanted?" Renay inquires.

"Yes!" I exclaim.

Renay glows. "Good job! I think you have it under control, right?"

I nod, and make more cupcakes appear in my hands.

"Then I suppose we can continue to magic combat," she says.

Confused, I raise an eyebrow.

"I should have told you this before, but I wasn't sure if you were ready," Renay says slowly. "The Houka Clan, a clan of many magical creatures, has heard a prophecy that says that you will destroy them. They are a wicked clan, and will stop at nothing to destroy what lies in their way. No one knows where they got this prophecy, or if it's even true, but we have to take precautions. The Council of Magical Creatures or the CMC has decided that you must learn magical combat, just in case. You told me about Shyanne, and that worried me. If she is indeed who I think she is, you will need to know this magical combat. I cannot tell you anymore information, as it is forbidden, but just know that your magic will be a good thing, as well as a burden."

At this message, I become worried.

Renay and I practice many different kinds of battle moves with magic. She shows me many moves, and I catch on easily.

After a while, the sky thing above us grows into a dark gray color. A noise begins to become louder-what sounds like battle cries! In the distance, I can see different creatures looking very angry, and wielding many different types of weapons, including magical weapons. I instantly go from ready to learn battle moves, to kind of scared.

I become even more afraid when I see the expression on Renay's face.

"Please tell me that this is just a test for me," my voice cracks.

"How! This place is impenetrable!" Renay's eyes grow wide, and frightened. "Lydia, you have to wake up! You're not safe here anymore!"

"WHAT?!" I yell. "What is going on?"

Renay rushes up to me. She grabs my shoulders tightly, and pleads. "Lydia, WAKE UP! THIS IS NOT SUPPOSED TO HAPPEN! THIS PLACE IS SUPPOSED TO BE SAFE FOR PEOPLE LIKE YOU TO BE TRAINED!! I DON'T KNOW HOW THEY MANAGED TO BREAK THE SHEILD, BUT YOU HAVE TO WAKE UP! YOU'RE NOT SAFE!"

She shakes me, and I try really hard to wake up. Wake up! I plead with myself. Obviously, this was not supposed to happen, and I figured those creatures were wanting me. WAKE UP! WAKE UP YOU STUPID HEAD!

The creatures were upon us now.

"Give us the girl!" A hairy centaur bellows.

"Never!" Renay shouts, and produces a magic sonic boom, that blasts back the creatures. They fall, but soon get up, and are angrier than ever. They rush at Renay.

The last images of Renay that I have before I wake up is her in the centaur's gigantic hand, being crushed to death. One tear escapes her eyes until she is crushed into dust, and I wake up.