6

"It's just my step-dad Derrick , he hasn't been the same since my mom died. I used to look up to him, but now. He just drinks a lot and sometimes doesn't think before he says things. I just always try to stay out as late as I can, in hopes he'll be passed out when I come home. I usually go to my friends house on the weekend, but her family went out of town for vacation."

Maybe this is my chance.

"Do you need a place to stay this weekend?"

She looks at me wide eyed. I think she's caught onto what I'm asking.

"What are you asking me ma'am ?" She looks a little taken aback. But, I can tell she also likes the idea when her whole body flushes.

"Well," I rub my hand on my neck. I feel myself break out into a cold sweat. Why do I feel like I'm the 16year old. "You could stay with me. I don't..." how do I tell this girl that I have zero friends besides maybe my older brother. I spent way too much of my time building an empire to even worry about making friends.

"I don't do anything on the weekends, so if you wanted to.. We could hang out?"

Real smooth, Hansen.

"You want to hang out with me?" She asks surprised. "Don't you have a girlfriend or something.... I mean..." She waves her hand up and down. "Look at you."

"I could say the same about you, Normani. But, no I don't have a girlfriend."

She looks down at her knotted hands. "Wouldn't that be crossing some line? You are my boss after all."

"Figure it's a friend, helping a friend."

She giggles. "You should watch what you say... someone might hear you. I mean word on the street is you're a tough, megalomaniac, take no prisoners, make people cry CEO."

"Is that what you think?"

"I haven't seen it yet, but I've only been here for a couple of weeks. And you were gone for one of them."

"Well, why don't you get to know me better and stay with me. I have plenty of room. I have every movie and book under the sun."

Wow I sound desperate!

It's quiet for a few minutes and I can tell the wheels are turning in her head.

"Sure, why not. I just have to go home first and grab somethings."