I Promise

Imogen

The ritual is tomorrow.

Unless scenarios of the ritual going wrong were invading my sleep. Constantly twisting and turning, feeling myself burning up from the nightmares that kept occurring. I groaned, wanting to pull all my hair out. My eyes fluttered open, staring at the stars I hung up on the ceiling. For some reason, stars were able to relieve my anxiety ever since I was younger.

Once when I was younger, my mother and I had gotten into a nasty fight. It was the first time my mother said she wished for a different daughter. Funny to think about now; maybe she wished to have kept my sister instead of me. I escaped to the yard, falling onto my knees, and cried into them. Soon enough, the sun has set, allowing the stars to roam free in the sky.

The shooting stars seemed like the sparkling signs of the warmth generated when these tiny shivers created a blip in the frosty night sky. My hands reached out, pretending to grab one of the many stars shining that night. Childish, right? Why did I expect a star to fall into my hands? Eventually, my mother came out to check on me and yanked me inside. I lost tv privileges that week because of my little stunt and making my mother "worry" about me.

Realizing that sleep wasn't coming anytime soon, my body slipped out from under the comforter. My feet slid into my bunny slippers, stumbling over the piles of clothes on the floor. Quietly, I slid out my bedroom door, proceeding to wander downstairs. I stretched my arms over my head, making my way into the kitchen.

I was craving hot chocolate with whipped cream and marshmallows. There was an internet article that said drinking hot beverages will help you fall back to sleep. My heart leaped out from my chest, noticing I wasn't the only one in the kitchen. I placed my hand on my chest, trying to regulate my breathing.

"Sorry didn't mean to scare you," Robert chuckled, pouring water into a teapot. Robert was wearing a brown robe hiding his pajamas, his hair disheveled along with his beard. What honestly scared me was when I walked in, watching Robert scratching his butt.

"It's okay," I said, flashing a slight smile at him.

I walked myself to the island, pulling a seat out for myself. For the next few moments, I played with thumbs, trying to think of what to talk about. The awkwardness was apparent, causing me to bit my lip. Honestly, I didn't expect anyone to be awake this late and I'm not in the mood to talk to anyone. After admitting the truth to Lucas, I felt so emotional since then.

It was refreshing, letting out my feelings to someone other than myself. Ever since my childhood years, I always held back how I felt. Frankie could see right through me, but sometimes I could be so rigid. When I developed the crush on Drew, it took months before confessing it to her. Of course, Frankie already knew; she can read me like a book.

Now that I'm in a relationship, I will have to gradually learn how to talk about my feelings with my boyfriend. I couldn't be more grateful to have Lucas here to support me. I know he's scared even if he didn't voice it; I knew he feared what could happen.

"I guess I wasn't the only one who couldn't sleep," Robert stated, placing the teapot onto the burner and putting it on medium.

My head snapped up. "Mmm? Oh yeah, I kept dreaming about. . ."

"Taisla?" he added.

"Yeah," I exhaled, even her name caused shivers to run down my spine.

Robert searched through his cabinets. "Do you want anything to drink?" he asked, pulling out several drink options. On the counter were green tea, ginger tea, ice tea, Hawaiian punch, and hot chocolate. Bingo!