Chapter 16 - Reasons

NOAH

After checking on Jordan for what feels like the millionth time, I find him still asleep. Even though I covered him with a thick blanket, he still clutches to the tablecloth we gave him at the club. If it wasn't for the fact that I lost my virginity when I was nineteen, and he was born when I was fifteen, I would think he's my long-lost son. Now in the daylight, I see how much more he looks like me.

I close the bedroom door once more and get busy gathering the ingredients to make me a sandwich while browsing for some new songs on my laptop. I've done so many things already this morning. Esther's call woke me up at seven to ask me to come down to the police station. I left a note for Jordan, which I found on the same spot when I came back, and headed out. After giving a witness statement on what happened the night before at the club, I got asked to fill paperwork to get Jordan's temporary custody. A social worker went through the document and interviewed me to make sure I have the right qualifications to take care of him. She was pleased to find that I have a clean police record, own a house and have a steady job.

When she asked me why I wanted to be Jordan's guardian, the first thing that came to my mind was how my family was completely dysfunctional. I had a mother who barely showed emotions and an abusive alcoholic father with a gambling addiction. Nothing I did ever pleased him. He was quick to punish me physically or verbally for the most absurd reasons while my mother looked the other way. Not once she ever defended or protected me. The Sommers were my peaceful haven and the place where I felt loved, cared for, and where I was encouraged to follow my passions. If it wasn't for them, I would have probably ended in trouble just like Jordan's dad. I have experienced firsthand how a stranger can change your life for good without a reason.

My answer was satisfactory and she handed me a file with copies of Jordan's documents and information. She also helped me to fill in an application for financial aid that I assured her I didn't need, but she insisted. So, from now on I can act as his legal guardian. As such, I thought the best way to begin was by calling his school and talking to the director. The man was shocked to hear about the recent events and promised to notify his teachers. Jordan is further excused from school until he gets better.

I was almost on my way home again when I realized that Jordan had nothing else but the clothes on his back. It gave me a lot of pleasure to spend my money getting him clothes, toiletries, school supplies and shoes. The guy who helped me at the store probably got a juicy commission after helping me pick enough items for his wardrobe. I also got him a phone. Not a very expensive one, but it's decent enough.

The bedroom door opens and Jordan comes out. He's so pale that I think I will have to bring him to a doctor.

"Can I use your bathroom?" He asks.

"You don't need to ask for permission. It's the next door."

Jordan heads to the bathroom and looks lost about what to do next when he comes out.

"How are you feeling?" I ask.

"Tired and dizzy."

"Eating something light will take care of the dizziness. Would you like a grilled cheese sandwich? I also have some fruit salad in the fridge. It's from the supermarket, but it's quite okay."

"A sandwich is okay."

"You can go back to bed and I'll let you know when it's done."

"It's okay. I can sit here."

Jordan takes place at the dining table and I believe now is the best time to update him on what happened this morning.

"I got your temporary custody and can act as your legal guardian. I also called your school and you are excused until you feel better. We have an appointment with your social worker here at the house in a few weeks to check how things are going and if we need any help."