LETTER XL. The Same to the Same. 20 Apr 1777

Ireland, 20 April, 1777.
"I had your letter; and expect, before you read this, to receive another from you with the most fatal news that can ever come to me, unless I should be put to death for some ignominious crime."

So begins this country's laughing Dean to Dr. Sheridan, Letter 26, August 29, 1727. So begins unhappy H. to his much-loved Martha; both because I dipped on the passage just now (not ominously I hope), and because I feel its force.

Now you see that there is something in dreams. But why is not your alarming letter more particular about your complaint? Do they nurse you as tenderly as I would? Are they careful about your medicines? For my sake tell them all round what happened lately here to Sir William Yorke, the Chief Justice.

Sir William was grievously afflicted with the stone. In his severe fits he used to take a certain quantity of laudanum-drops. On calling for his usual remedy, during the most racking pains of his distemper, the drops could not be found. The servant was dispatched to his apothecary; but, instead of laudanum-drops, he asked for laudanum. A quantity of laudanum was accordingly sent, with special charge not to give Sir William more than twenty-four drops. But the fellow, forgetting the caution, gave the bottle into his master's hand, who, in his agony, drank up the whole contents and expired in less than an hour.

Why, my dearest love, did, you conceal your illness from me so long? Now, you may have revealed the situation of your health to me too late: What a thought was that!—If I write more, I shall write like a madman. A gentleman takes this who sails for England today. Tomorrow or next day * * * will be here. If Lord S. as I have reason to expect, influence him to refuse me leave of absence, I will most certainly sell out directly, which I have an opportunity to do. At any rate I will be with you in a few days. If I come without a commission, you must not be angry. To find you both displeased and ill, will be too much for your poor H. For my sake, be careful. Dr. — I insist upon your not having any longer. His experience and humanity are upon a par. Positively you must contrive some method for me to see you. How can love like mine suport existence, if you should be ill, and I should not be permitted to see you!—But I can neither think nor write any more.